17th Edition Video

since I don't do domestic I can't vouch for certain, but if it's a refit, then it goes where the old one was.
If it's a new build, then it goes at low level close to where the meter box outside is i suppose.. to cut down on lenght of mains tails..
unless it's a block of flats situation then it goes next to wherever the mains cables enter the flat ( asuming that the meters would be downstairs under the stairs etc ) or where the DNO cable and meters go..

if its a new build it has to comply with part m.thats why its at the height its at.no other reason.everything has to be in that 450mm to 1200mm zone including the cu.just imagine yourself sitting in your wheelchair in the dark,wishing you could reach the cu if its at high level!

Sponsored Links
if its a new build it has to comply with part m.thats why its at the height its at.no other reason.everything has to be in that 450mm to 1200mm zone including the cu.just imagine yourself sitting in your wheelchair in the dark,wishing you could reach the cu if its at high level!

Yeah, pendants are a problem for walking into though :)

Seriously though, have you any reference in Part M that specifically mentions consumer units?
All I see is switches and sockets.....http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADM_2004.pdf

gary mo,
the only thing is 8.2 of section 8 which refers to sockets,switches and other equipment.

It's actually 'Switches and socket outlets for lighting and other equipment', slightly different in context to how you put it.

Have a look in most new houses, consumer units are fitted at high level in the entrance hall.

Sponsored Links
It's actually 'Switches and socket outlets for lighting and other equipment', slightly different in context to how you put it.

Have a look in most new houses, consumer units are fitted at high level in the entrance hall.
thats true mate,dont do much new build stuff tbh.just thought the 100a main switch on the cu would be a switch for other equipment,perhaps im a victim of various councils brainwashing and their unwillingness to sign off buildings without a low level cu where part m applies :)

I don't do any new builds at all but have carried out some remedial work.

Have a think how many LABC's request fire-rated downlighters for standard two storey extensions. No wonder confusion exists!

i know mate.LABC insisting on 17th edition install on the nursing homes im rewiring at the moment.all jobs started in may.we informed clients they didnt have the right to insist on this but they folded as there is lots of money being spent.
i wish they would but out at times tbh,they seem to know bits of stuff and guess the rest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back