2" iron pipe under 1930's property??

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hellooo...

On further investigation today of the capped-off pipe popping out my property's kitchen floor, I discovered that what I have is a roughly 2" od iron pipe running straight under my house. It starts out in the street somewhere, I guess, goes all the way under the house without teeing to anything else, then pops up out of the floor. Depending on the timing of things it was possibly originally outside the back of the house, but could feasibly have been installed after a rear extension.

I'm just wondering how best to identify it and get rid of at least the end that is now threatening to become a feature in my new kitchen floor. It's got a service valve siezed in the off position and a cap. My guess is an original gas main - could that be right? It's certainly not the current gas main as this comes in via the meter outside the front of the house in 22mm copper. So if this is gas it predates the old back boiler that the current gas main was fitted to. I also found some smaller iron piping that must have been associated with whatever appliance this was remaining in the kitchen floor void and not connected to anything. It's definately not anything to do with the current incoming water main which is lead (mmmmm).

So what ya reckon - is it fairly safe to assume it's long decomissioned and empty and take a hacksaw to it? Was thinking about turning on the service valve and seeing if anything comes out but it seems pretty well siezed (i haven't tried my really big adjustable yet though). Surely it can't be live gas or water as it would avoid the meters (hmmm free utilites :)). If i need to get the authority out to tell me what it is who do I phone?

Cheers for any advice,

Liam

Sponsored Links
:confused:
Does that mean you'd just hack it off then? I think i'm coming to that conclusion anyway. Might try and open the service valve with a bigger tool. Just thought it might be obvious to the more experienced here what a 2" iron pipe would have been used for. Who knows, I might have struck oil :)

Liam

Post a pic of the valve and we should be a step closer.

You could drill a small hole and have a self taper handy. :idea:

Sponsored Links
You could drill a small hole and have a self taper handy. :idea:

Lol - sounds like a plan.

Can't get a photo right now, but it's a brass ball/cylinder type valve with a square plug to which you'd attach a key/wench to actuate the valve. Seems gassy rather than watery if you ask me. In fact it's pretty much the same as the valve on the current gas main that was connected to the back boiler, only bigger. I'm thinking it was the original gas main and must have been chopped somwhere in the street when the current copper main was installed that now enters the house via the meter outside. Probably just left the old iron pipe in there. Seems daft that it could be still live and they just capped it off in the house then teed off it back in the street to install a new pipe through the meter and said "now please use the nice new metered gas main and dont turn on that old unmetered one we've shut off and capped". So it must totally dead, right? :)

Liam

By law you are only allowed one service pipe, so the old pipe if it was gas would have been disconnected, however the size suggests an commercial building, or a much larger use than a normal domestic property.

Perhaps a bit of the property history would throw some light on it.

Hmmmm, well when we were purchasing we had a good rummage through old deeds and what not at the solicitors. For some reason the previous occupants had had pretty much every check going done on the property, so we know such useful facts as: It wasn't a mercury thermometer factory or munitions factory in the war etc etc, so there are no nasty chemicals; doesn't have any radon; the local vicar can't come round and ask me to pay for the church roof; I'm not allowed to 'go about the business of a dairyman' :cry:. Nothing mentioning any serious commercial/industrial use. Maybe home smelting furnaces were all the rage in the 40s?

Liam

at my old house i had two gas mains one connected to the meter , the other hidden and blanked behind a kitchen cupboard. both live. be careful

Crikey that sounds exactly like what i've got :eek:

So, er, does that mean that technically, you could have run your house off the second main unmetered, i.e. free? Not that i'd imagine doing such a thing.

Liam

Local cowboy kitchen fitters decided to cut off (flush with the floor) the "old" 2" gas pipe in a flat local to me. Turned out it was still live. The whole 10 storey tower block was evacuated whilst Transco found where to isolate it. :rolleyes:

i would have had to hack it off by now.

When seeing a pipe capped or plugged always assume it is alive even if you do have other services coming into the structure.
either contact a gas fitter or the gas utility.

Black pipe is normally used for

1- Gas (Natural and certain other fuels and all so air lines)

2- Oil

3- Steam

4- Hydronics

5- Fire suppression piping systems such as fire stand pipes or sprinkler.

Either way have it tested by a licensed professional

i would have had to hack it off by now.

When seeing a pipe capped or plugged always assume it is alive even if you do have other services coming into the structure.
either contact a gas fitter or the gas utility.

Black pipe is normally used for

1- Gas (Natural and certain other fuels and all so air lines)

2- Oil

3- Steam

4- Hydronics

5- Fire suppression piping systems such as fire stand pipes or sprinkler.

Either way have it tested by a licensed professional

I knew it! I've struck oil I tells ya!!

More seriously, i think i'll forget about trying even harder with an even bigger adjustable to open the service valve for a sniff. I'll probably crack the brass or something. Might get on the phone to the gas company then...

But oh, come on - somebody tell me. If it's live where is its meter? Is it really 'off the system' un-billable free gas? I guess it just can't be and I seriously wouldn't think about doing that anyway, honestly, but am just intrigued that it could even be possible this day and age...

Liam

Could be an old live gas main. You couldn't use it to supply free gas because it will more than likely,if it's live,be medium pressure so you would need a regulator,anaconda and low a pressure gas meter and someone stupid enough to connect it all up for you :LOL:

Seriously you have to get in Transco to check if it's live or not. Don't even think about doing anything to it yourself ,certainly not with anything that involves generating sparks like, for example,a diamond blade on a stihlsaw(sp) ;)

If indeed this pipe was /is an oil line your in big trouble

Toxic waste / No drilling permit / Then of cause you woill have the government become your partner they take 96.89 % and you have the rest which they will tax . Better off burying the line like Pandoras box

[quote="LiamPope";p="958282More seriously, i think i'll forget about trying even harder with an even bigger adjustable to open the service valve for a sniff.
Liam[/quote]

I once opened a valve to find out what sewage gas smelt like :oops:

so when you get this plug out and you find its a live gas main, what then?

so as you struggle to get it shut the wife walks in thinking your up to something unsavoury.

and switches on the light for better look at what your up to

explosion.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back