2 Leaks: Boiler and Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two leaks. Can anyone advise if this is something I can fix myself or do I need to get someone in? Any help would be appreciated, details below.

Leak 1, Boiler:

Underneath the boiler there is a plastic pipe which looks to have a crack in it. Water is dripping from here, very, very slowly. Like one or two drops a day.

Leak 2, Radiator:

water is dripping from the top. Same as the boiler though, just one or two drops a day.

Sponsored Links
You could try and tighten the radiator vent plug up. The condensate pipe (white) can be done by yourself, but you would need to purchase some solvent weld, and the fittings and try and remove the dripping elbow and replace. There is a risk to damaging other fittings, so up to you if you feel confident?

Hi, they are very simple things to fit, all depends on your DIY skills.
The plastic pipe is the condense pipe from the boiler, its like a waste pipe. The pipe should have been glued together so i would just dry the connector and wrap some insulation tape a few time around the joint. Get it fixed when you get the boiler serviced.
The radiator vent valve again is a simple job. Turn the heating off. Turn both valves to the radiator off. When turning the locksheild valve (not the TRV) count the number of turns to close the valve so when you turn it back on turn it the same number of times. Turn the TRV completely off, some have a frost setting which is not off.
Now place a bowl under the vent valve and let the pressure out.
You can now take out the vent, either replace it completely or use some PTFE on the thread and replace it.

Last edited:
Thanks both for the very informative replies.

With the boiler I don’t think I would be confident enough to replace the pipe so will try the quick repair until the next service.

With the radiator, I was speaking to someone about the issue and they said they did not know how to drain the radiator as it was a pressurised system. Not sure what he meant by this. Been many year’s since I touched a radiator so isn’t it just as described by SJSbuilding? If so, I think I should be able to reseal or replace myself.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for the very informative replies.

With the boiler I don’t think I would be confident enough to replace the pipe so will try the quick repair until the next service.

With the radiator, I was speaking to someone about the issue and they said they did not know how to drain the radiator as it was a pressurised system. Not sure what he meant by this. Been many year’s since I touched a radiator so isn’t it just as described by SJSbuilding? If so, I think I should be able to reseal or replace myself.

Thanks again.
It is very easy to do, there will be some water will come out so have a towel under the plug, and a small bowl, just take your time and dont panic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back