2 pin USA light to UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Have searched this site but can't find anything to make me confident to attempt this! :)

Basically have bought (via ebay of course) a made in china lamp from the USA but for the UK :))

It has a 2 pin round plug (both pins the same).
I want to hardwire it in to a spur.

Have read that the wires are black & white (haven't cut the 2 pin plug off yet) and am somewhat confused over whether they are polarized or not.
It's actually a shaver socket plug, plugging it in there either way round it works fine.
Does this mean I simply wire to live and neutral either way round without a care in the world???

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Make sure the lamp ( bulb ) lampholder and flex are rated for 230 volts and then you can safely replace the plug top.
The US wiring colours are Black for Live and White for Neutral.

i will guess its a screw in lamp?

if so i beleive you will have to change the lamp holder, i think they have imperial thread size and we have metric, since you have it you can tell me (please) but you do know you cant just plug it in with the USA lamp?

And if the lamp is metal then it must be earthed.
The yanks dont bother with it for lighting as they are only messing with 110volts. We've got a few more jolts over here...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back