Rewire 2-Pin euro plug to unfused 5A round pin plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have some round pin plugs around the house which are connected to dimmer switches in each room. I also have some unfused 5A round pin plugs which i recently tried to wire to some small lamps we have bought for these switches.

My problem is that these lamps are manufactured by Flos (Italian) and when I removed the UK plug I found inside a standard 2 pin Euro Plug.
Is it possible (and safe) to rewire the 2 pin to the unfused 5A round pin plugs?
The europlug has a number of symbols on it and the writing "2.5/250" presumably amp and voltagel.

Thanks for any help

Pat

Sponsored Links
Cut the europlug off and fit the 5A plug as normal.

As with any cut-off moulded plug you should destory the cut off plug before disposing of it.

Sponsored Links
Hi Pat,
I have the exactly same problem, and I just was told by one electrician that it is impossible to chage the plug to a round pin plug on my beautiful Flos lamp, so I was delighted to see this post.
I have already bought the 5A comvertor plug which plugwash suggested. I just want to ask you Pat, if you were successful with this? I am an extra cautious person and just wanted to make sure if this is safe ( i don't want to break the expensive Flos lamp!).

He made just 1 post, almost 20 months ago. I suspect he is no longer around.

I have the exactly same problem, and I just was told by one electrician that it is impossible to chage the plug to a round pin plug on my beautiful Flos lamp
Did he say why? What did he actually say? Are you sure he was really an electrician?

Perfectly. I would have chopped off the plug and fitted a 5a personally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back