2 way lighting time lag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I purchased a posh time lag switch because my son likes the landing light on while he falls asleep and as I go to bed the same time I dont really want it on all night. The switch is a 1 way switch with 2 terminals, Com & L1. The landing light is obviously 2 way lighting. The manufacturer doesnt make a 2 way version. Is there any way I could terminate the the other wires so that it works 2 way and use this switch? thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there any way I could terminate the the other wires so that it works 2 way and use this switch? thanks
I can't see a way of doing that in the sense that you probably mean. If it is a pneumatic, rather than electronic, time lag switch you could probably add it in addition to your two-way switching such that it would over-ride that two way switching - i.e. it would turn the light on for the set period if the other switches were set for the light to be off. However, you would then have to educate your son to turn off the lights (with existing switches) and then press the button to get a period of light.

Kind Regards, John

I did think of putting it next to the existing switch. Its an electronic switch so that i can control the time it stays on quite accurately

The manufacturers wiring diagram says i can use 2 of these. one at the top and one at the bottom of the stairs. A short press turns the light on as normal. A long press activates the time lag. but then I assume I'd have 2 independent switches controlling the light

Sponsored Links
I did think of putting it next to the existing switch. Its an electronic switch so that i can control the time it stays on quite accurately
I need to think, because I'm not convinced that what I was suggesting could be achieved with an electronic one, although it could with a pneumatic one.

Kind Regards, John

The manufacturers wiring diagram says i can use 2 of these. one at the top and one at the bottom of the stairs. A short press turns the light on as normal. A long press activates the time lag. but then I assume I'd have 2 independent switches controlling the light
I don't fully understand that. Could you perhaps post a photo or scan of the instructions, or tell us the make/model so that we can attempt to find the instructions on-line?

Kind Regards, John

If it helps. The switch has a battery and here is a link.
Thanks. The battery makes a big difference (making it functionally more like a pneumatic one).

If I understand the instructions correctly. what they are describing as 2-way switching would probably not be what you want. It would involve replacing both upstairs and downstairs switches with those time-lag switches. You would then be able to initiate a timed period of lights 'on' by pressing either, but I don't think that you could turn off the light from either of those switches during the timed period and nor do I think could you turn the light on 'permanently' (i.e. not timed).

However, again assuming I understand correctly, I think you could probably do as I was suggesting. Assuming you currently have conventional 2-way switching, I think if you kept the two existing switches and connected the lag-switch's 2 terminals to the L1 and L2 (not COM) of one of the existing switches, then it would probably work as I previously suggested - switching on the light for the timed period and then 'off' (provided that the light was switched 'off' by the conventional switches). The two existing switches would then continue to work as normal (except when 'over-ridden' during the timed period after pressing the time-lag switch's button).

I'll be interested to hear what others think about this idea.

Kind Regards, John

an different, simpler approach (as used here) is to put a table lamp on the landing, with a plug-in timeswitch.

Though the cost of running an energy-saving or LED lamp is so tiny that you might as well leave it on all night.

Hi. If this works i have attached the pdf instructions to this post

Attachments

• WD264_GITLC (2).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
sorry. there seems to be a time lag on my internet connection and Im answering out of sequence

Thanks. The battery makes a big difference (making it functionally more like a pneumatic one).

If I understand the instructions correctly. what they are describing as 2-way switching would probably not be what you want. It would involve replacing both upstairs and downstairs switches with those time-lag switches. You would then be able to initiate a timed period of lights 'on' by pressing either, but I don't think that you could turn off the light from either of those switches during the timed period and nor do I think could you turn the light on 'permanently' (i.e. not timed).

However, again assuming I understand correctly, I think you could probably do as I was suggesting. Assuming you currently have conventional 2-way switching, I think if you kept the two existing switches and connected the lag-switch's 2 terminals to the L1 and L2 (not COM) of one of the existing switches, then it would probably work as I previously suggested - switching on the light for the timed period and then 'off' (provided that the light was switched 'off' by the conventional switches). The two existing switches would then continue to work as normal (except when 'over-ridden' during the timed period after pressing the time-lag switch's button).

I'll be interested to hear what others think about this idea.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks yes I think that is my only option with this switch. I have a conventional 2 way witching at the moment. I guessnit will just look a bit untidy with an extra switch on the wall. Thanks ever so much for taking the time to answer this for me :)

an different, simpler approach (as used here) is to put a table lamp on the landing, with a plug-in timeswitch.

Though the cost of running an energy-saving or LED lamp is so tiny that you might as well leave it on all night.

That was probably the easy way I should have done it before buying a fancy switch ha

Thanks yes I think that is my only option with this switch. I have a conventional 2 way witching at the moment. I guessnit will just look a bit untidy with an extra switch on the wall. Thanks ever so much for taking the time to answer this for me :)
You're welcome. If you decide to try my suggestion (I would recommend that you find a way to 'try it' before you attack the wall!), it would be good to hear how you get on.

Kind Regards, John

Hi, having bought the switch why don't you use it as John D has suggested and use it to control a table lamp ?

Kind regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back