2 way lighting time lag

Yes I will try it first and will sure let you know how I get on. Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Hi, having bought the switch why don't you use it as John D has suggested and use it to control a table lamp ?
Indeed. In fact, if the OP would like a tidier arrangement, he could use that switch to control a new, additional, 'fixed' light fitting on the ceiling (or wall, or wherever) - totally separate from the present light and switching.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
the electronic time-lag switch the OP has bought has (I would say unusually) got a battery!

Kind Regards, John
We use a lot of cp electronics timers for smoking area heaters, there electronic bits do seem reliable, suggesting to me they do actually seem to know a bit about what there making and selling

thanks I will check out the Elkay ones and also good to know someone has used the cp electronics stuff and found them good. There seems to be a lot of Chinese/dodgy switches for sale with instructions written in broken English being sold and its hard telling whats what! Trusted suppliers I know of like Screwfix etc don't seem to stock these fancy switches.

We use a lot of cp electronics timers for smoking area heaters, there electronic bits do seem reliable, suggesting to me they do actually seem to know a bit about what there making and selling
We use CP Electronics a lot, their simple stairway timer switches are very good, we have had only 2 need replacing, in both cases they still worked but had been physically broken after being punched! Their more professional microwave lighting controls are superb, I fitted a load of 2 channel sensors recently in an office, programming took seconds with the £10 remote control. Highly recommended.

Thanks. The battery makes a big difference (making it functionally more like a pneumatic one).

If I understand the instructions correctly. what they are describing as 2-way switching would probably not be what you want. It would involve replacing both upstairs and downstairs switches with those time-lag switches. You would then be able to initiate a timed period of lights 'on' by pressing either, but I don't think that you could turn off the light from either of those switches during the timed period and nor do I think could you turn the light on 'permanently' (i.e. not timed).

However, again assuming I understand correctly, I think you could probably do as I was suggesting. Assuming you currently have conventional 2-way switching, I think if you kept the two existing switches and connected the lag-switch's 2 terminals to the L1 and L2 (not COM) of one of the existing switches, then it would probably work as I previously suggested - switching on the light for the timed period and then 'off' (provided that the light was switched 'off' by the conventional switches). The two existing switches would then continue to work as normal (except when 'over-ridden' during the timed period after pressing the time-lag switch's button).

I'll be interested to hear what others think about this idea.

Kind Regards, John
Yes that would work as suggested John.

However, again assuming I understand correctly, I think you could probably do as I was suggesting. Assuming you currently have conventional 2-way switching, I think if you kept the two existing switches and connected the lag-switch's 2 terminals to the L1 and L2 (not COM) of one of the existing switches, then it would probably work as I previously suggested - switching on the light for the timed period and then 'off' (provided that the light was switched 'off' by the conventional switches). The two existing switches would then continue to work as normal (except when 'over-ridden' during the timed period after pressing the time-lag switch's button).

I'll be interested to hear what others think about this idea.

Kind Regards, John

Similar to an Intermediate switch that is connected across the strappers

Similar to an Intermediate switch that is connected across the strappers
Sort-of. An intermediate switch swaps the connections between the two strappers, whereas what I was talking about was connecting the two strappers together with the additional switch (in it's 'on' state).

An intermediate switch leaves the functionality of the two other switches unaffected - all three switches can turn the light on or off. With the 'connecting the strappers' (via the additional switch) method, when the light is on because of the additional switch, neither of the others can turn it off.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back