2 week wonders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been on IET forum this has to be a wind-up? Guy calls himself 1Ohm. He is complaining about the treatment he gets as a 2 week wonder!
His other thread he asks why we can’t use old colours? Oh and he asks “come on guys and ladys just need a serious answer please I was recomended this site for technical help and advice. will 1.5mm do it?” That's for a ring main!

It just has to be a wind up! See what you think?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear that is unbeleiveable, I didn't think intensive courses were THAT bad!!

Sponsored Links
Could be a 2 week part p training course or something similar I suppose for housewives :confused:

In plumbing there's someone similar called bigburner - wonder if they're somehow related?

I've just been thinking... this is about one bloke out of thousands that do the DI- imagine how many others are equally as bad as him that are out there! They should make you take an entry exam for that course, so only sparks with no paperwork/people with half an understanding can take the course. So much for my 4 years at college!!

The entry exam for mine consisted of 2 questions:

1) What is your name?

2) Do you have £600?

I do believe that one poster on that particular topic on the IET called for the return of a certain ban-all-sheds ! (Non-sparky iirc ?)

I could not work out if he was for real or not! I wonder if someone is having a wind up? I also noted come back ban-all-sheds.
But even after 30 years I am still learning. We see on here comments like I am working on a TT system and Ze is only 8 ohms will that be OK. And we think where has the guy been to ask such a question. But I have know many industrial sparks who in 30 years have never used a earth loop impedance tester. And the domestic spark would does not know how to wire a star/delta starter.
But we have all been taught ohms law and all the other maths involved and can quickly pick up what is missing. And do the work in a safe manor.
What worries me is where these two week wonders take a chance. Too afraid of being caught out to ask. No one will employ them cards in so only option is to go self employed so when the find a ELCBv they have no idea what they are looking at and not only don't change it but also effectively short out the sensing coil.

I'm going to hit back, I've not read the link, but the amount of self worth you guys are showing over and above DI qualified guys amounts to near racism.

I'm a DI, did a scope A 5 day wonder course 4 years ago and proved I could read a book and did the 3 day 17th last year.

Would you please accept that some DI's have the skills and can more than match (some of) the full fat apprentice qualified guys.

I have 2 x relatives that are full college qualified and they are absolutely cr4p at doing domestic. They cut corners, have no idea of rules and aren't P qualified.

Over the years the messes and dangerous installations I've seen that were done by C&G electricians is appalling.

Now I'm sure that some DI's are chancers, that they cut corners and do things outside scope. But that is 'some'- not me and not quite a few DI's that I've worked with.

I can understand you anxiety and your feelings of being cheated by a system that has allowed a quick route to DI, but.......... Blame the powers to be and get down of your high horses of self righteousness.

Most of all, please stop generalising and accept that some DI's (and even some C&G's) are good, and some are bad.

Rant over :D

I've not read the link

So you have no idea what your actually commenting on then

I have 2 x relatives that are full college qualified and they are absolutely cr4p at doing domestic. They cut corners, have no idea of rules and aren't P qualified.

Part P is a building regulation not a qualification, and theres always bad apples in every bunch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back