United Kingdom
I got this question wrong and would like to know why

A 30Amp Semi Enclosed BS3036 Fuse receiving a prospective fault current of
130A would disconnect in

a. 5.0sec
b. 1.0sec
c. 0.4sec
d. 0.2sec

Please can someone explain the correct answer and how they came to that answer (already knowing doesnt count :p)

I used FIG 3.2A on P 245 to come to my answer.

Sponsored Links
It would be slightly longer than 1 sec so I will round up to the next answer at 5 secs. (140A required for 1 sec operation)

I would reckon 2 seconds using graph. Do remember log log scale. Using box you can see 140A takes 1 sec so will have to be more than 1 second and less than 5 seconds.

So answer I suppose would be (a) but really a bad question as it should have been one of the figures in the box.

Really answer is "None of the above".

Sponsored Links
As already mentioned, if 140A will require 1 sec, less current will require more time. I think that it will be less than 2 sec but as the graph does not give you a precise figure, you should go to the next safest option and I agree that the answer should be 5sec. There is no way that 0.4 sec is correct.

I think they have probably made a slight mistake with the figures, looking at the other sheets i.e. the 2391 there's typing errors too.

Maybe they thought it should be 4s and got the dp in the wrong place?

I agree that the possible option is that they put the dot in the wrong place, if it is so, I think that the answer should be 2sec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back