240v Lights in Zone 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is it okay to fit a IP24 rated wall lamp in Zone 1?

It's wet room and all walls are within 1.2m of the shower head so I understand that everything bar the ceiling is Zone 1.

Ceiling wil be a flat roof filled with insulation & I don't think it will be able to take recessed downlights.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, if the product is stated by the manufacturer as suitable for the location.

Should be IPX5 if subject to water jets.

It states IPX4 and if likely to have water spray IPX5 and the item if not 12 volt or less must have a manufacturers recommendation to be used in that area.

So in real terms no. There may be exceptions but in the main zone 1 needs 12 volt stuff.

It is unlikely lighting to IP24 will have a manufactures recommendation to use in zone 1, there may be an exception but unlikely.

There doesn't seem to be much choice of IP56 or 12v lights - they mostly seem to be downlights.

Lots more choice in 240v IP44 (the IP24 that prompted the question is a light over a mirror).

Some of the manufacturers recommentations for IP44 fittings are Zone 2 but I'm thinking that that's probably them being cautious in case someone sticks it in a shower where it will get splashed - rather than explaining about water jets easier to just say zone 2 only.

But am I right in thinking that 240v IPx4 is okay in Zone 1 as long as it isn't going to get a shower jet on it?

Sponsored Links
No unless manufacturer says it's OK.

Are you sure it is zone 1?
701.32.3 Description of zone 1
Zone I is limited by:
(i) the finished floor level and the horizontal plane corresponding to the highest fixed shower head or water outlet or the horizontal plane lying 2.25 m above the finished floor level, whichever is higher
(ii) the vertical surface:
a) circumscribing, the bath tub or shower basin (see Figure 701.1)
b) at a distance of 1.20 m from the centre point of the fixed water outlet on the wall or ceiling for showers w without a basin (see Figure 701. 1 (e) and (t)).
Zone 1 does not include zone 0.
The space under the bath tub or shower basin is considered to be zone 1. However, if the space under the bath tub or shower basin is only accessible with a tool, it is considered to be outside the zones.

Most lights are above 2.25 meters so are out of zone 1. The ceiling hugging 2D lamps are favorite for bathrooms.

Personally I would not worry too much about regulations and would select a 2D lamp that I liked.

If I stuck it high on the wall (or on ceiling) then OZ but the mirrors with lights I've been looking at are IP24 or IP44 & fixed lower than 2.25m

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back