3 switch light system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my hall switches and find that there is no crossover switch option available in the range we want. Is there any way of connecting without a crossover? Perhaps using a double switch 1 gang 2 way alternative in place of the crossover.

Sponsored Links
No way of doing it without an intermediate switch.

How many lights in the corridor? The only alternative if there's more than one light is to have one area served by two 2 way switches, and another area served by another two 2 way switches. So the intermediate becomes a 2 gand 2 way switch. Some or a lot of rewiring would be required.

Since the above paragraph is far too tedious to contemplate, I would suggest another range.

But the really obvious thing to do would be to tell us what range the switches are, and we may be able to find what you are looking for.

It would have to a particularly duff range if they don't include intermediate switches.

These are an antique brass model from Homebase. Their own brand and made in China with no supplier address. My fault for not checking that I needed this intermediate switch. My other option is to bypass the intermediate one altogether and just leave a dummy switch.

Sponsored Links
Or maybe one switch that doesn't match but functions!!!

Or one from a similar range which is the best idea

I found a strange set-up the other day in one of our buildings. The building has some seventies type wide rocker switches. A multi-way switching system used 2 gang switches with one wide rocker operating both switches as a single intermediate.
One pair of strappers went into the two commons and the other pair went into L1 and L2. The L1s were linked as were the L2s.

OK, this is a bit off the wall but if you are really attached to your switches and you know a bit of electronics: stick a resistor in each switch, such that current either goes straight through the switch or via the resistor when the switch is pressed. Then, take the two ends of the cable and connect to a circuit that changes the state of a relay when the resistance undergoes a large change. Basically every time someone flips a switch, the relay changes and the light turns on or off. Don't ask me how to build the circuit, as I suck at analogue electronics but someone at Reading Hackspace may well relish the challenge.

Thanks bernardgreen. That is a brilliant solution. I've been to our local Screwfix and the switch is on order for tomorrow. This is slightly different but close enough to the pattern I require. I would never have found it without your guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back