3 water pumps running in parallel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am based in China and have 3 identical 60 meter 220v 1500 w water pumps supplying water up a hill of height about 120 meters and distance about 260 meters. They are currently connected in parallel but the problem is that they are all running at different speeds hence the water is not being supplied as one pump is just running too slow. The rise in height is not the same for each pump, could this be the problem? Any suggestions how these can all be balanced to work at the same speed. Is it easiest just to run separate cables to each putting them on an independent feed but operated from just the 1 switch? If so can they all be connected to a single 32 amp MCB? Many thanks. Tony

Sponsored Links
I don't think that the electrical supply would have anything to do with the pumping speed.. it's likely to do with the length / height of the runs.. ( although at 260M that's quite a bit of volt drop you'd have at the furthest one.. )

you could install holding tanks between pumps and float switches to turn the pump uphill off when the level in the tank falls below a certain level, and turn the pump downhill off when it's full..

Cheers ColJack for the reply. That's a great idea thanks ! We have already put holding tanks in between pumps so the idea of a float switch to control the pumps is perfect.

Presumably if they are set up to switch the pumps off so that only one or two run at a time then this could work.

I will try it and keep you posted.

I remember years ago the old Flyght Bibo 1 had a special strainer to allow them to run in tandem.

However we had problems as the lower pump had more wear than the others the volute would ware quicker and then the head would reduce and upper pumps would not get the water required for lub and cooling and we would lose top pumps.

Good maintenance and trimming in the pump did help of course but in the end we changed for a single double impeller pump which had the head required.

Now you can get pumps with built in float control the pump is switched off when it runs light load and on when contacts are in water this means you don't need any floats bobbing around in the water.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Get all the pumps running and check the voltage at each one.
Get a current check as well.

You would need a diabolical voltage drop to drastically affect speed.

Once you have clarified the vd, and amps then a solution will be evident.

Mike

Back