3Ph Appliances and Loads in General

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have a rough idea of the respective currents that a 3 phase washing machine and 3 phase tumble drier will draw per phase?

I seem to working out current loads all the time just now and often find that the difference of a few amps can be critical. Can anyone point me in the direction of a general guide to domestic appliances and their respective draws in amps. I have a good idea about most things but just want the peace of mind that I'm not over or under estimating by too much. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm confused. You want to know about domestic appliances and their current ratings, yet you are asking for 3 phase washers and dryers. It is very rare to even find a T.P. supply in a domestic environment never mind a T.P. appliance.

There is no answer to this question as the required load will vary according to the size and type of the appliance and probably vary between manufacturer

Ok, I've obviously not made this very clear.

I'm setting up a temporary laundret where I have a 3phase supply available. Earlier today my boss asked if we could utilise the 3ph industrial washing machine and 3 phase industrial tumble drier (both Miele) that he already owns, to save on buying new equipment, for what is afterall a short term requirement. My concern is that with the other loads fed off the same distribution board, i.e. iron, 2 x 1ph air conditioning units (don't ask why) and lighting, I may not have enough left over for these appliances which I reckon, alone, could draw a combined current of 18A per phase, maybe more but hopefuly less. The distribution board is fed from a 4pole 32A MCB and when you total up the loads it gets kinda close to the limit. Both appliances are likely to be used simultaneously.

I realise that different models, etc, have different loads, but I was just wondering if anybody had a rough idea of what I could expect.

At this point I can't even get access to the appliances to check out the labels on them.

Hopefully somebody somewhere has an answer or at least some advice. ;)

What power is the air conditioning.

Could the breaker on the sub-main be uprated without putting the cable out of spec?

You really need to get access to the ratings plates of theese appliances.

Sponsored Links
What rating are the main fuses and tails?? Do you have 100 Amps per phase available at the intake?? Can't you go back to the intake and take out a new feed from the main distribution board , or at worst split tails, add a new TP&N switchfuse and run a temp supply for the new appliances??

If you dont want to go that way, try the board with just the two new appliances on (ie leave aircon etc off) , then use the clamp meter to find out what current they actually draw when running, then go from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back