3phase problem

If ,as you say, you have connected the plug as advised by the refurbishers & your other machines work ok in the socket then it seems most likely to be a problem with the machine.

Yes I am guessing that much. But I really wanted to get opinions before I contact the refurbisher today, as I am no sparky and didn't want to look a fool if I was overlooking something.
It's a problem when buying something off the net that's at the other end of the country, they are not going to be able to come over and just check it out, I'll possibly have to be sending it back, or invoicing them for a qualified machine engineer to get it working.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
With the power OFF its worth looking inside the starter, there may be overloads and simply set too low for the moter

On some old DOL starters, the green press putton would directly press the contactor contacts in, until the hold on contact took over.

Cant say ive seen them, but i will take your word for it.
Would be a definate no no nowadays I would have thought, but as you know theres still plety of old gear still in use

On some old DOL starters, the green press putton would directly press the contactor contacts in, until the hold on contact took over.

Cant say ive seen them, but i will take your word for it.
Would be a definate no no nowadays I would have thought, but as you know theres still plety of old gear still in use
Wadkin certainly used to use those starters, but if this was one of those then the motor would run as long as the green button was depressed.

Sponsored Links
I have spoken to the seller/refurbisher today and he says the machine was running fine before it left them. So I have arranged for an electrician who specializes in machine motors and rewinds to run some tests tomorrow to identify the problem.
So for now thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
I will update you tomorrow if we find out whats wrong.
Thanks, Steve.

I have read posts with interest and tried to think of a scenario that would cause what is reported.

With overload set to auto reset and also set too low it would allow the motor to kick then nothing until it auto reset.

However it was tested before it was delivered to you and was OK.

So what could be different with your supply and the refurbish firms supply? If the supply it was tested on had a large volt drop and yours does not then yes you could get this situation.

This however seems unlikely but maybe the machine was tested and then the starter fitted and some one forgot to set the overload?

The only thing therefore I can think of is the overload is not set to the correct setting for the motor.

Thinking back I have had this problem with water pumps. With a water pump you burn the rubber of the volute to match impeller and being in a hurry I remember switching the pump off before it had fully bedded its self in. While running the load of burning in was not a problem but once stopped it would not restart. Cure was to back off volute and then bring it back again while running.

It is possible there is some similar process with your machine and it has just simply not been run for long enough before switching off. Or of course something has happened while on-route which has caused the machine to bind.

So what could be different with your supply and the refurbish firms supply? If the supply it was tested on had a large volt drop and yours does not then yes you could get this situation.
If that's true (I don't know), you would not necessarily have to have any appreciable within-installation VD, given the large variation in supply voltage which is permitted at the origin of the installation. At the extremes of 'permitted' it could have been tested with a supply of 375V and now being tried with a supply of 438V - a difference of 63V between-phases.

Kind Regards, John

Just another thought - is the power feed engaged? Maybe it needs to run up to speed before engaging the feed drive.

I have not had the electrician look yet, but i thought these photos may help explain what i have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back