4 or 5 zone heating panel available?

Sponsored Links
You can have panels made up if you have the money, you can even control it with the computer if you enough money.

No thousands. :cool:

Best to get it priced up after a heating consultant has designed it.

Probably talking £4-500 for the panel.

Sponsored Links
My previous house was fitted (by me) with a Heatmiser system, programmable stats in every room and a central touchscreen for control. I've been back since as I still part-own the house, and the thermostats themselves, along with the wiring centres, have been rock solid. The touchscreen and some of the zone valves (again, Heatmiser branded) I cannot speak of quite so highly, although the replacement valves I have fitted seem to be of a newer design which hopefully addresses the problems with the old ones.

If all you want is a programmer, I'd take a punt for the Heatmiser TM4-TS. There is also a wireless model of some sort, but no doubt it'll be significantly more expensive and much less reliable.

One thing worth noting is that the TM4 will NOT control mid-position valves, as there is only one Normally Open contact output per channel. If you have 2-port valves then no problem, and I expect this should be the case as you have so many zones. If you buy the add-on wiring centre then this will give you more flexibility in terms of wiring and connecting of thermostats and the like, but I don't think it's strictly necessary.

I need to have 4 zones in a large property

You could have a couple of zones on one channel with separate roomstats.
Thats the easiest way imo but as someone has mentioned the horstmann has unresponsive buttons but otherwise works fine.

Another option is a separate single channel programmer for the ufh.
Programmable room stats have no boost function so I wouldn't bother with those.

If all you want is a programmer, I'd take a punt for the Heatmiser TM4-TS. There is also a wireless model of some sort, but no doubt it'll be significantly more expensive and much less reliable.

One thing worth noting is that the TM4 will NOT control mid-position valves, as there is only one Normally Open contact output per channel. If you have 2-port valves then no problem, and I expect this should be the case as you have so many zones. If you buy the add-on wiring centre then this will give you more flexibility in terms of wiring and connecting of thermostats and the like, but I don't think it's strictly necessary.

true but you can make it work with a mid-position valve if you use a changeover relay
Matt

true but you can make it work with a mid-position valve if you use a changeover relay
Matt

Indeed, but if you're going to all that trouble then you'd be better off buying something that can do that from the word go.

I need to have 4 zones in a large property. So I need 5 incl HW but was under the impression 5 is not available on a programmer, only this amount is doable with manifolds.
A "progstat" is a programmable thermostat.

1. Do you want time and temperature control in each heating zone?
2. Do you want the times to be centrally controlled?
3. Do you want the temperatures to be centrally controlled?

HW time control can easily be handled by a single channel timer located near the HW cylinder.

All rads have TRV's
How will you provide the obligatory interlock (turns the boiler off when rooms are up to temperature).?

1. Do you want time and temperature control in each heating zone? Only time, temp will be dictated by TRV's

2. Do you want the times to be centrally controlled? Yes

3. Do you want the temperatures to be centrally controlled? No

All rads have TRV's

How will you provide the obligatory interlock (turns the boiler off when rooms are up to temperature).?

Doesn't the boiler switch off when water is staying at required temp ie. if all TRV's switch off as reached temp, then water in system stays hotter longer so boiler is off more?

I' kind of thinking that as I already have a 3 zone panel - Hortsman XL 37H, then just buy another so I have all 4 zones plus HW!?

Only time, temp will be dictated by TRV's

Yes

No

Doesn't the boiler switch off when water is staying at required temp ie. if all TRV's switch off as reached temp, then water in system stays hotter longer so boiler is off more?
Sorry, but that does not comply with the requirement to have an interlock. The installation would not get the necessary approval.

The TRVs will control the temperature in the room, but the water in the boiler will continue to heat up until the boiler thermostat turns the boiler off. This wastes gas unnecessarily.

A basic question: Why do you need four heating zones?

Because it's a large house with living space on 1st floor, plus want office to be its own zone form when I'm in house on own. So it's 1. ground floor, 2. Living room/one bedroom, 3 office and bathroom, 4. 3 more bedrooms, and ideally 5. for HW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back