40A RCBO but Neutral Lead Rated 32A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure if I'm missing something, but surely the Neutral lead on an RCBO will carry the full load return current. I just noticed that on a 40A RCBO the Neutral lead is only rated 32A, or is marked as such. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Then why does it say 'max 32A'?

I have just looked at a 20A RCBO and it is the same - which is obviously alright.

I've just emailed Hager technical, I don't know whether they respond to such questions but might as well give it a go.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone ever come across a melted one (through overload not loose connection) ?
That will give you your answer!

Has anyone ever come across a melted one (through overload not loose connection) ?
That will give you your answer!
Not sure it will. At the moment I don't know if I've just got a duff one fitted with the wrong N fly lead. Mine might be the only one like this. I'm not sure fitting it and waiting to see if it melts is the correct course of action.

Hopefully someone will be able to look at one or more ADN140s of their own, to see whether they're all marked like this, and if that's the case you may possibly be correct.

Just measured a 32A rated hager flylead, and it seems to be a 5.0mm² conductor, which will be fine for 40A

Unless I am to lose all confidence in my favourite manufacturer, I want to know.
taz.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back