45 amp double pole switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just run a 6mm cable from my consumer unit to the kitchen for a 4.12kW electric oven. The instructions tell me to use a 20A switch. However, I want to use a 45A with a socket. Would this be safe?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can do it that way - and if you do it properly, using a 32 MCB, it will be 'safe'.

Lucia.

That oven draws about 17 amps. It should be on a 20 amp circuit, with a 20 amp DP switch.

Cooker switches with sockets are hideous, and a throwback to a more basic time. Why do you want one?

Thanks for the replies. I want to use a 45A because I've got a 2 gang back box and the range of sockets I'm using doesn't have a 20A 2 gang!

45A just sounded too big for a 17A appliance.

Sponsored Links
The fact that you're fitting a 45A switch to a 17A appliance won't encourage that 17A appliance to draw 45A will it, for goodness sake!

If you have a 6mm feed protected by a 32 MCB then by all means fit that standard 45A CCU with integrated socket.

The MCB is there to protect the circuit cable and not the appliance.

Lucia.

Give a little thought to the 'complications' of protecting a cooking appliance whether it's a freestanding cooker with hob, or a single/double built in oven. Then you'll realise that the main protection can only be that of short-circuit protection.

Such a fixed load isn't capable of being overloaded. You cannot switch on more than the maximum connected load.

The MCB has to handle a major fault or a trivial fault on one or more of the various elements. This might be the oven, the grill or even the oven light or timer.....

So, the MCB is there to care for the circuit cable only. A 17A appliance can be switched by a 20A, 30A, 45A, 100A switch and upwards - neither of which would have any bearing on its power consumption.

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back