Double pole switch kitchen

No, it would be two completely separate switches so four supplies (L&N twice) and four loads (L&N twice).

Sponsored Links
Mr MK said:
What that means is it takes up the space of two single switches. Confusing to say the least. As I did not realise it was 50A I never thought of that. Not exactly the correct term. It is definitely not a two-gang switch.
Goodness - I'm very surprised that Mr MK, or all people, introduced that confusion. It's a bit like the recent discussion about 2-'way' lighting, and the way in which the word 'way' was being used with different meaning there as when it is applied to a switch. Here, Mr MK seems to be using '2-gang' to refer to the size of the plate, which is the context of a switch is, as you say, more than confusing - I would call it plain naughty!

Kind Regards, John

Yes. I was going to say that I can understand a two-gang back box being so called, but, thinking about it, it does not even accommodate two accessories - that's a dual - merely a two-gang socket which we call a double, but to call this a two-gang switch is definitely misleading.

It just goes to show - you have to know what you are talking about to know what you are talking about.

In cricket - what is a wicket?

Sorry to interject but you hit the nail right on the head when you said unless you know then you dont or something thereabouts lol. But made me think might be wise that i know of other certificates they may provide for work done-just so when i say, 'hi,err will i get an xyz certificate on work completion, he doesnt come out with no, youll get an abc which could be worth nothing., what other legitimate certificates are there aswell as the minor works certificate if i may ask?
Also i presume there is a government record of the certificate (?) .where would i be able to view it?
I'll be an armchair electrician when ive finished here lol.
Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
There is an Electrical Installation Certificate which is required for new circuits and new consumer units.
This will also include a schedule of inspections and a schedule of test results.

If an EIC is not required an Electrical Installation Minor Work Certificate should (I maintain) be issued.

All circuits should be tested when work is carried out (except very,very minor work).
Presumably the test results will be recorded somewhere so may as well give the customer a copy.

For work which is 'notifiable' a Certificate of Compliance will later be received from the electrician's registration scheme (or the Local Authority if the electrician is not registered and a (huge) fee has been paid) .
Notification, if necessary, is independent of which certificate should be or has been issued.

Also there is an Electrical Installation Condition Report when the existing installation is inspected and tested.

Yes. I was going to say that I can understand a two-gang back box being so called, but, thinking about it, it does not even accommodate two accessories - that's a dual - merely a two-gang socket which we call a double, but to call this a two-gang switch is definitely misleading. It just goes to show - you have to know what you are talking about to know what you are talking about.
One does, indeed - and I'm still surprised that MK are the culprit. It gets almost laughable when you look at their grid stuff - they sell a '2-gang' (i.e.double-socket size) surface back box and 3-gang and 4-gang grids and plates to fix to it - and, of course, they also sell 2-gang and 3-gang plate switches which fit onto a '1-gang' box!

I really don't think they could sensibly defend their calling a 1-gang switch 'two-gang'!

Kind Regards, John

There is an Electrical Installation Certificate which is required for new circuits and new consumer units.
This will also include a schedule of inspections and a schedule of test results. If an EIC is not required an Electrical Installation Minor Work Certificate should (I maintain) be issued. All circuits should be tested when work is carried out (except very,very minor work). Presumably the test results will be recorded somewhere so may as well give the customer a copy.
All very true, but they are all usually bits of paper issued by the person who undertook the work- so, in terms of what we were asked, I'm not sure they can really be regarded as much of a guarantee about the quality of workmanship or, necessarily, the safety of the installation (or even the safety of the work that was done).

What the customer has to understand is that, at least for non-notifiable or self-certified work, there is no independent oversight or 'audit' of either the work or the installation - so, as I said, the best they can really do is to seek a trades(wo)man with a well-established good reputation (and then hope that the good reputation was deserved!).

Kind Regards, John

True but I thought the OP was just asking which certificates there were.
Well, that's all that was asked, but the following sentence indicated what he hoped the answers would achieve, when he wrote:
When i get an electrician to install my dbl oven and hob, is there a certificate or something that i should get or receive? I would like to safeguard against bad workmanship or at least know i am safe.

Kind Regards, John

thanks for all the information. Knowing now your very last point i think shows what a great boon having a forum like this is ,as the last point shows that it's even more important that people having electrical work done need to know what is going on.

The side of the box says its a 2g
where does it say that? I just looked at the picture you posted and I can't see it.

c7e17699a42b4cc01108dd95ad973aa7.jpg

Well - now we've got all of the 2G switch malarkey out of the way, let's return to this:

As regards ,the dbl oven and hob operated together throwing the sockets in my lounge and dining room, here is a photo of my cu. hope it can help.
35d5945d2797661a79bc1d267c707110.jpg
  1. According to the labels, you have a cooker circuit, therefore the cooking appliances should not be on the same circuit as your lounge sockets.
  2. The cooker circuit and lounge sockets are on different RCDs, so a fault on one should not trip the other.
So what trips when you turn the oven and the hob on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back