Double pole switch kitchen

Sponsored Links
firstly apologies for the very slow reply. as suggested i contacted some electricians for quotes and have been doing that. they each want to do something different :(

but anyway, as regards the tripping i was going to go from memory, then thought, what a wally and got the single oven out from garage and plugged it back in. the switch which trips is the RCCB protected circuit one, ie the left most switch in the photo. i had all my switches set to on and it knocks off the power in my lounge and dining room(tv, fish tank pump,etc)(and probably around rest of house..only checked lounge and dining)

one of the guys who came to quote in his yellow pages advert states 'Part P registered installer'. sorry once again to be a thickie but what does it actually mean (implications)? i realise indeed that part p is the electrical side of building regs but am wondering as he put it in his yellow pages advert it must mean something.

No, it doesn't mean anything, but it is probably aimed at customers who don't know what to look for.

What you need is an electrician who is a Competent Person (this is a defined term) and a member of a Self-Certification Scheme. Maybe that's what he means. You have probably heard of NICEIC but there are Benchmark, BESCA, BSI, ELECSA, NAPIT, NICEIC, OFTEC, STROMA.

If you call an electrician, ask
"Are you a member of a self certification scheme" (correct answer - Yes)
"Which one?" (write it down - you can check him on their website)
"What grade of membership?" (write it down. "Domestic Installer" is the lowest grade)
"How long have you been a member?" (it is preferable to have someone with a bit of experience)

You should be choosing, from among suitably qualified people, ones with good personal recommendation. See if he will put you in touch with other local customers that you can speak to. He will tend to put you in touch with his buddies and not with disatisfied customers, so a better approach is to drive round your neighbourhood looking for trade vans, writing down their details and the address of the house they are working at, and then calling at the house on a weekend afternoon some time later and asking the householder. They will be more receptive if pottering around the garden than if busy.

See also http://www.communities.gov.uk/plann...petentpersonsschemes/existingcompetentperson/

but anyway, as regards the tripping i was going to go from memory, then thought, what a wally and got the single oven out from garage and plugged it back in. the switch which trips is the RCCB protected circuit one, ie the left most switch in the photo. i had all my switches set to on and it knocks off the power in my lounge and dining room.
Hang on.

Up until now you've been saying
whenever i switch the oven and hob on at the same time it throws the power in my lounge.
Even though the cooker circuit is not on the same RCD as the lounge sockets.

Now you're saying that if you plug in a different appliance it also trips the RCD.

OOI, have you tried plugging that oven into a socket on the upstairs circuit?

Looking at what you said a bit more fully:

I had a new consumer unit put in a few years back and whenever i switch the oven and hob on at the same time it throws the power in my lounge so tbh i havent really been using them much anyway.
Surely it's not been like that since the replacement CU went in?

Sponsored Links
Yes its been like this since i had the new consumer unit put in a couple of years back. I have been using the microwave as regards oven stuff anyway and i have a feeling its the oven which is the main culprit.
I thought it was the individual switches tripping but my experiment of recent shows its the leftmost switch on my consumer unit which trips above whereit says rccb protected circuits and it knocks off power in my lounge and dining room and probably around rest of house.
@banall no its the same appliance i tried which caused the trip , ie the single oven that i am replacing.

So it's not overload. The LH RCD trips only when the oven is on.

But the oven circuit is not on the LH RCD side?

Well, the oven is labelled as being on the RH side, but is it?

So might it be a fault or miswired? Its definitely the leftmost switch which trips and the switch marked cooker on the consumer unit (in my photo) that Will stop the use of the oven. And its when i operate the oven that the leftmost switch trips.

Something very odd there.

Can you take a piccy of the inside of the board?

Yes you were right. I have now had the work done and they stated on the minor works certificate 'Circuit chart does not correspond to DB'. I asked them about it and they stated the doorbell was mislabelled?? when they were looking at the installation certificate i received when i had the CU installed. Surprised they didnt mention the cooker-however i went round the house and switched everything on with the oven and hob and it all seemed to work without tripping.

So, they've not done any faultfinding, only fitted an oven and hob but it no longer trips when it used to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back