Double pole switch kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am going to get a double oven in place of a single oven aswell as replace an electric hob.
The double oven instructions (dled) recommend either a min rated 32A double pole switch(lol which i cant find anyway) or if with a hob ,a 45A double pole switch. To quote "a 45A Double Pole control switch should be used to feed both units via seperate suitably rated cables."
Now firstly i cannot see under the hob but i can see the old single oven goes to a conventional mains double socket. The single oven has a standard 13a plug attached. The mains socket has 2 wires wired into it. I am assuming like a dp switch they are the feed and maybe the load from the hob as i cannot see anywhere else the hob could possibly be connected to.
I have a few questions. I am interested in electrics and would like to be in the know. 1. am i likely to be correct in assuming it is the hob load? 2. If its the case, would the hob be wired to one of the plug spaces and is it safe? 3. Do they make double dp switch boxes with 1 feed or would i need 2 seperate boxes and if that the case would i need to have wire to consumer box rewired as there seems to be only 1 feed? 4. Do i even need dp control switches- can i just have done like has been done allready or something similar but with the Double oven hard wired and a suitable fuse at the consumer unit?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
I have a few questions. I am interested in electrics and would like to be in the know.
1. am i likely to be correct in assuming it is the hob load?
You maybe correct in assuming but confirmation is required rather than assumptions. You need to confirm how the circuit is wired and functions.
2. Would the hob be wired to one of the plug spaces and is it safe?
Again conformation is required, would be hard to tell being remote of your installation. the safety aspect could be down to the load that the two appliances require and the rating of cable.
3. Do they make double dp switch boxes with 1 feed or would i need 2 seperate boxes and if that the case would i need to have wire to consumer box rewired as there seems to be only 1 feed?
The overall rating of both hob and oven would be required to make that calculation, as far as the instruction you have offered either 32A DP for oven or 45 DP isolator for oven and hob, can I assume these two appliance have been purchased together and that the instruction relate to the two appliance you have purchased?
4. Do i even need dp control switches- can i just have done like has been done allready or something similar but with the Double oven hard wired and a suitable fuse at the consumer unit?
You require a means of isolation nearby the appliances and you have a duty to follow the manufacturers instructions.

I am going to purchase a double oven and hob but not together. I am quoting only the downloaded instructions for the double oven i would like.

I have to be honest i am a bit disappointed by no definite advice though i am aware you are not in the situation or can visualise it but i would have thought this normally the case on a diy forum. Thankyou for answering me at least anyway. looking forward if anybody else can add to it :)

Edit :I have just reread what you put and you are right-assumption is difficult to go by. I was wondering as regards question 2, may i amend it to, if its the case.....I understand where you said about the safety aspect but there could be no other way to wire it without using one of the plug sockets up right?. And my last question, do they make double dp control boxes with a single feed but 2 loads possible and also is it at least safely possible to forego the dp control boxes and rely on the relevant fuse at consumer box?

I find it difficult to grasp what you mean.

A single oven built for the UK market usually draws less than 13A so can be fed from a 13A plug and socket.

A double oven draws more, and can't

An electric hob draws much more and can't.

An electric cooker draws much more and can't.

Have you got an electric cooker circuit?

Was your old hob a gas one?

Post some pics. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for reply.
Yup sorry , the current single oven is connected to a regular double electricity wall socket which is located in a pullout draw below the housing via a regular everyday household plug. This electricity socket which looks just the same as the ones in my lounge has 2 wires hardwired into it protruding out from beneath. I am assuming they are load of hob and feed from the consumer box. I am just asking for speculation what they might be-general not specific?

I am really asking about electrics because it is new to me and thought in getting this new equipment done, id find out a little more about it.

As regards, photos ,sorry i dont have a camera at hand but can extrapalate with any further information so required.

current (to be replaced) hob is electric

And so i dont lose track, also do they make double dp control switches with a single feed like a double wall socket?

I am going to purchase a double oven and hob but not together. I am quoting only the downloaded instructions for the double oven i would like.
Purchase your appliances or at least get some specifications on them, then you can move forward and designing the circuit correctly.
I am surprised that the download has offered instruction on a hob that they are unaware of the potential load of.
Do have a link to this information?
I have to be honest i am a bit disappointed by no definite advice though i am aware you are not in the situation or can visualise it but i would have thought this normally the case on a diy forum. Thankyou for answering me at least anyway. looking forward if anybody else can add to it :)
Cannot assume anything as being normal, come across some right hash ups.

Edit :I have just reread what you put and you are right-assumption is difficult to go by. I was wondering as regards question 2, may i amend it to, if its the case...... And my last question, do they make double dp control boxes with a single feed but 2 loads possible and also is it at least safely possible to forego the dp control boxes and rely on the relevant fuse at consumer box?
In the case of question two, it is possible that the original cooker circuit has been altered, to offer a socket outlet for a 13A plug in oven and a feed taken from this for the hob, without knowing how the hob is connected or if it is actually connected to hob, it would be hard to offer any valid or safe information, other then confirm this by further investigation's.
Question 4, it is possible to have a 45A DP isolator that will feed a double outlet that can then supply power to both hob and oven.

Thanks prenticeboy for adding more, its welcome. I got the link by googling indesit fimd23wh i think and viewing the pdf. I will just search for link

Edit: http://talkappliance.co.uk/downloads/?sa=downfile&id=53

So, as i say i am a rookie seeking knowledge with nothing to go by , so if there was only 1 item say just a hob then all i would need is a dp control switch inbetween that appliance and consumer box.. The only reason i now need a double outlet is because of the 2 items??

Thank you for the advice aswell :)

. This electricity socket which looks just the same as the ones in my lounge has 2 wires hardwired into it protruding out from beneath.

:eek: that sounds terrible, possibly quite dangerous, and certainly incorrect.

You did not say if you have a cooker circuit or not. You need one.

I am going to stop now. You need to ask around and get recommendations for a qualified local electrician.

Edit: http://talkappliance.co.uk/downloads/?sa=downfile&id=53

So, as i say i am a rookie seeking knowledge with nothing to go by , so if there was only 1 item say just a hob then all i would need is a dp control switch inbetween that appliance and consumer box.. The only reason i now need a double outlet is because of the 2 items??

Thank you for the advice aswell :)

@johnd thanks for advice too. No it doesnt look as if theres a cooker circuit.

@prenticeboy thanks ,the pictures you gave and method is perfect-exactly what i was looking for. I think it may be too difficult for me to do being a rookie, lol i may have chanced it if it was just rigging up cables between the present socket and the appliances.
Thanks again for the advice and taking the time out to assist me :)

The only reason a double outlet plate would be used, would be to supply two appliances. Tis what it is!
As you state you are a rookie and seeking further knowledge, which is fair enough.
But do make yourself aware also of electrical work in kitchens, does come under certain legal requirements and if circuit cabling is altered, that notification to building controls will be required, either by yourself or a self cert electrician.
As far as the spec and MI given by Indesit, I am shocked that they offer that kind of instruction, without prior knowledge of the output power of the second appliance.

, so if there was only 1 item say just a hob then all i would need is a dp control switch inbetween that appliance and consumer box.. The only reason i now need a double outlet is because of the 2 items??
The switch goes above the worktop so you only need one.
The dp stands for double-pole which means it switches on/off both the live and the neutral conductors.
It is nothing to do with the number of appliances.

A connector unit goes below the worktop. There are double outlet ones.

So, as i say i am a rookie seeking knowledge with nothing to go by
We cannot give you knowledge as we have nothing to go by.

It is ok. I am grateful for the information all you forum members have told me. Thankyou though what is the purpose of the connector unit? Couldnt if i had only 1 appliance run cabling directly to the dp control switch from the appliance and then onto the consumer box?

I don't understand, you have a electric hob, you must have a 'cooker circuit' ?

Can you list all the fuses/trip switches in your fuse box and what they do, or are labeled as.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back