A fixed price repair which isn't !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend whom I am tutoring on repairing boilers recently went to a 24 cdi which had a jammed or broken water fill valve.

I warned him that those boilers are not good news but he said the fill parts were not very special and was going to replace them regardless.

He laboured through the fill parts and then found the diverter valve was not working either and also found the rings to the plate HE were leaking.

By this time he had spent much of a day and gave up and asked the customer to call Worcester for a fixed price repair.

They came out and declared the boiler beyond repair!

Whats wrong with these guys? They cannot even repair one of their own boilers!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hmmmm, more like the isolators were passing after completing a damn fine painful job. NEVER touch them. Why didn't you help your friend? If you have any. :eek:

i couldn't work for Worcester. imagine coming across cdi diverter faults every day of the week.

of course its repairable, but it would be soul destroying.

my quote on renewing diaphragm assy doubles for these.

never come across a 'water fill valve' problem. apart from 'wot no plastic tee & no or broken knob.

if the diverter valve has a problem, then of course calorifier o rings & others will be troublesome.

i understand an o ring service kit is readily available.

i don't really understand the o ring kit does all necessary sealing after such situations. Worcester must have found another problem as replacing the seals would be workaday experience for a Worcester engineer surely?

Sponsored Links
Makes you wonder about the standard of tutoring this pupil has had . To spend ALL day on a couple of relatively simple repairs (3 hours max and thats being generous) and still not have it fixed then to have it condemed by worcester. I would suggest he finds a new tutor. ;)

i couldn't work for Worcester. imagine coming across cdi diverter faults every day of the week.

of course its repairable, but it would be soul destroying.

my quote on renewing diaphragm assy doubles for these.

never come across a 'water fill valve' problem. apart from 'wot no plastic tee & no or broken knob.

if the diverter valve has a problem, then of course calorifier o rings & others will be troublesome.

i understand an o ring service kit is readily available.

As someone looking to purchase a new boiler, probably system - are we saying Worcester are pants?! They are currently on the top of my very short list (single entry). The free 5yr warranty was an attraction. What brands would you recommend (anyone). I'm aware of the general feel that condensing are so excellent and amazing that a ten year lifecycle is about all to expect (as opposed to the terrible old boilers like our glow worm that after years of abuse and none servicing could only manage a mere thirty years - pah progress).

I think we need about a 40Kw one that will work with either a gravity fed or an unvented system. {yes still no closer to deciding for any followers of previous thread :( ).

I quite enjoy working on the 24cdi... Yeah call me weird. It is a job that you cant rush though as all the oring grooves need to be cleaned carefully before fitting new orings. Since the DV is where it is, I always fit a new DV as a matter of course, the kit comes with all the orings that you need for the job

Anyone had to replace the Exp.V in one of these.

MI says to remove MAIN! H.Ex. pump and plate HE.

My company asked me to do one last week after one of our other guys previously diagnosed it.

Oh and Corgigrouch...your WEIRD! :D

Gorgigrouch you are weird. :LOL:
It is certainly a part a really dont want to get fast at fitting as it would mean i would be doing them regularly.
Sh~te just remembered mate who i will see this afternoon wants his doing only been putting him off for six weeks as it will be a get me a pint job.
Perhaps agile could send his pupil up for another attempt

Makes you wonder about the standard of tutoring this pupil has had . To spend ALL day on a couple of relatively simple repairs (3 hours max and thats being generous) and still not have it fixed then to have it condemed by worcester. I would suggest he finds a new tutor. ;)

This guy is 62 and has only been CORGI for two years.
My tutoring is limited to telephone help and taking over the job ( paid ) when he gets into trouble.

In this case I advised him against this work because with no pressure in the system he could not know what other faults were present and the diverter is a prime suspect.

However, he said it looked simple and he needed the experience so that was fine for him. He certainly learnt that my initial advice was spot on. Now he is going to fit a new boiler so he is very happy.

Hmmmm, more like the isolators were passing after completing a damn fine painful job. NEVER touch them. Why didn't you help your friend? If you have any.

I did not want to take over the job like that for obvious reasons.

Another trainee a few weeks ago was shown how to change the diverter after it had been leaking for two years. It took us 2 1/4 hours as a result of the difficulties of the corrosion from the leaking.

That job was for a friend and we just charged our standard diagnostic charge of £84 !

Tony

Other than basic servicing I never go out to a Worcester. I always ask new customers what boiler they have first and if it is a WB then say 'sorry don't touch these, get WB out on a fixed price call'.

Personally I think they are the most over rated pile of sh*te out there :mad:

(Sorry Craig ;) )

Im with corgigrouch, i like working on CDi's.

Will never touch the isolation valves on these and replacing the whole dv is a pain but if u use the seal kit and clean the grooves its ok.

The CDi Xtra is a pain if it blocks up at the bottom of the secondary heat exchanger though.

With dave on this worcester god knows why worcester are held in such esteem , nuisance to work on nuisance to fit and set up. Fault finding not the most straight forward and parts tend to be stupidly expensive.

Only yesterday I fitted a new wiring harness to a Buderus 600_19R after fire damage. Took me about half hour to fully inspect and clean all parts and the chassis, fit the new harnes and get boiler working.

If it had been a Worcester it would have been condemned with that much work required yet they (Worcester) have axed this model and are doing their best to kill off the competetive sister company UK sales all together.

If I ever meet the designer of Buderus I am going to buy him a pint.

If I ever meet the present Worcester designer I'm going to turn my back on him. Not even worth a breath.

I am the guy that wore a Buderus bomber jacket on a tour of the Worcester factory by the way. I was about as popular as I am when I attend electricians events.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back