A hypothetical

joe-90 said:
The racing driver James Hunt died in his sleep. He never knew he was world champion, and he never had a chance to say goodbye to his family and friends. Is it cowardice to die in your sleep? I think I'd rather know where, when and how I'm going to die so I can put my affairs in order and give my kids a bit of last minute advice.
I believe that James Hunt died of a rather unexpected heart failure, about 20 years after winning the F1 World championship. It seems rather unlikely that he was kept in the dark about his success for two decades.

Sponsored Links
Correction - I believe that he died of a flow switch failure.

joe-90 said:
I can put my affairs in order and give my kids a bit of last minute advice.

joe

Thats why it's important to have your affairs in order.........now!

As to giving advice, saying what you want to say to people close to you etc, etc - if you do this all of the time to those who matter to you there shouldn't be a problem.

I have had my own 'affairs in order' since I bought my first home.........I do occasionally make changes to stuff every now and then as things change in my life. I have made provision for the things I want to happen after I die - what readings and music etc I want at my funeral, where I want any money and personal effects to go etc, etc

I think I am like this as I have seen many people die - and the problems this has caused to the people left behind because stuff wasn't sorted out and too many things left unsaid!

Sponsored Links
Softus. I thought you wanted to ignore me and my posts? There's a good chap - you run along.

joe

joe-90 said:
Softus. I thought you wanted to ignore me and my posts? There's a good chap - you run along.
Unfortunately, joe, it doesn't work like that. I'm as capable of doing exactly what I want as anyone else on the forum. I note that you sit in contented silence when I agree with you, or even complement you, but issue these curiously irrelevant little instructions whenever I don't share your opinion.

The posting from you that responds to this is the one I'll be ignoring, because you'll repeat yourself, twist things around in a sorrowful attempt to prove a point that has no import, and assert that my subsequent silence is acceptance that you are correct - none of which is valid.

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
Unfortunately, joe, it doesn't work like that. I'm as capable of doing exactly what I want as anyone else on the forum. I note that you sit in contented silence when I agree with you, or even complement you, but issue these curiously irrelevant little instructions whenever I don't share your opinion.

The posting from you that responds to this is the one I'll be ignoring, because you'll repeat yourself, twist things around in a sorrowful attempt to prove a point that has no import, and assert that my subsequent silence is acceptance that you are correct - none of which is valid.

So I'm free to kick your ass all around the forum then? Then again you dare not take me on head-to-head dare you? You snipe from the shadows, that's your style (or lack of it).

joe

Bizarrey said:
The racing driver James Hunt died in his sleep. He never knew he was world champion.

Wikipedia says:
1976 was Hunt's top year, as he won six Grand Prix.
Niki Lauda's near-fatal accident allowed Hunt to cut the Austrian's points lead and, as they went to the final round in Japan, Hunt was just 3 points behind. The Japanese Grand Prix was torrentially wet, and Lauda refused to race, saying the conditions were too dangerous. After leading most of the race James suffered a puncture, but just managed to splash back to third, enough for him to win the World Championship by just a single point.

I'm joe-91 - one better than joe-90. I kick ass. Oh yes.

joe-91 said:
Bizarrey said:
The racing driver James Hunt died in his sleep. He never knew he was world champion.

Wikipedia says:
1976 was Hunt's top year, as he won six Grand Prix.
Niki Lauda's near-fatal accident allowed Hunt to cut the Austrian's points lead and, as they went to the final round in Japan, Hunt was just 3 points behind. The Japanese Grand Prix was torrentially wet, and Lauda refused to race, saying the conditions were too dangerous. After leading most of the race James suffered a puncture, but just managed to splash back to third, enough for him to win the World Championship by just a single point.

I'm joe-91 - one better than joe-90. I kick ass. Oh yes.

Hi Softus. When you get your own personal troll - then you know you've arrived.

I'm flattered.

joe

Yeah how does he know for sure? How do you explain 'mediums' and such like? Some of them are obvious charlatans, but some of them are scaryingly accurate.

Did you ever see Derren Brown hold that seance? He basically used his skills and mass hysteria to make it look like the real thing, and they all thought it was. Unless they were stooges, or something.

Sponsored Links
Back