A newbies guide to electricity and stuff?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a good, very basic guide that a newbie can read that will cover things such as the purpose of the neutral wire, testing something is earthed properly etc.

Ive tried the Wiki on this site, but some bits of missing.

Sponsored Links
Given your previous posts and without meaning to insult you might be best starting by buying a 6V battery, some bell wire and 6V MES bulb and lampholder. Connect these to make the lamp work. For the purposes of this (simplified) illustration you can consider the positive connection between battery and bulb to be the line and the negative between battery and bulb to be the neutral. You will see from this that for current to flow you need to complete the circuit by having the negative connection made.

Assuming that you are not jesting and if you still do not understand I suggest you take up stamp collecting.

Regards

"the "Which" book of wiring and lighting", available at your local library if you don't want to pay for it.

Sponsored Links
Given your previous posts and without meaning to insult you might be best starting by buying a 6V battery, some bell wire and 6V MES bulb and lampholder. Connect these to make the lamp work. For the purposes of this (simplified) illustration you can consider the positive connection between battery and bulb to be the line and the negative between battery and bulb to be the neutral. You will see from this that for current to flow you need to complete the circuit by having the negative connection made.

Assuming that you are not jesting and if you still do not understand I suggest you take up stamp collecting.

Regards

Got to jump in here, and say something.... What a waste of a post this is, everyone has to learn somewhere, and yes you give some pointers but try be a little more constructive.... Oh and can you tell me what a "LINE" is..... never heard of that before..... LMAO.... Amaturs indeed.....

as to Jdillon if you get stuck, dont be afraid to ask... most peeps on here are helpfull.... althaugh we all are known to have our moments....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-...1020402?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194539535&sr=8-8

The above book is very good too as it starts at the very basics.

This is not meant to sound patronising, but do try the BBC byte website (designed for GCSE's) and look at the physics section. There are some quite nice flash annimations. Once you got the basics Ohms law and relationship between power etc then you can build on this.

on the contary, i have to dissgaree with you MasterAbacus, its how i learnt many years ago when i was a kid.

looking at books on wiring houses is all very well, but unless you can understand why it does this that or the other a book is of no use, and since mains has no prejudices, it kills anyone, i really do suggest a lamp and battery, it can still be wired as per "normal lights" and if it goes wrong no harm done.

you can sill use a DMM on it chack the voltage, resistance, current etc, all safely and Still learn.

... everyone has to learn somewhere...

but the place to learn is by study and ELV experiments, not by tinkering with circuits in the home. This is a bad place to make mistakes and learn by trial and error.

Oh and can you tell me what a "LINE" is..... never heard of that before..... LMAO.... Amaturs indeed.....

Seems as if you might be the amateur, as line is a quite common term in three phase distribution.(eg line voltage, line current)

I think there might have been a typo.. and it should have read "live" and not "line" even though I have to agree with ricicle to some extent.

It is at present but I understand that it will be line and neutral in the 17th edition

A bit theoretical, but yes, it is either phase or line and neutral. For those who do not agree, if you touch the neutral of when the light is on, you get hit just as nicely as that you were touching the live. I mean the line. Luckily we all know what to grab when asked to hold the live. With due care of course

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back