A world where medicine fails?

Nah! I'd rather kick your fat ass all over the forum. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I think peterpizzpots medicine has failed again, he's been making a show of himself on the plumbing forum again for the last couple of days. The dopey t*t. :LOL: :LOL: :mrgreen:

Yet another good thread ruined by Childish School Yard postings.
I'm out.

IIn fact, I wouldn't mind betting they allready have a few options in the back of the filing cabinet just waiting for things to reach critical

I'll take that bet. How much do you want to wager, how about our houses?

I shouldn't tell you this, but google 'antibiotic pipeline' first.... Then come back and we can discuss it again.
Don't need to google it. I've got a bit of inside info from a gooid friend of mine who is the top science man at one of the large drug companies. It's all hush hush though so can't tell you about it. What's your house worth? Just so I know its a fair bet.

Well I've asked around and it must be so top secret that it's years from getting to market and so experimental that it's not likely to work.

AZ have something years away which is proving highly susceptible to rapid resistance. They have decisions to make anyway on disease areas to stay in, this time next month they might not be doing antibiotics anymore.

If GSK have anything it's got to be so hush hush that it's not even owned by them.

Lilly who are american but have research in uk aren't even interested in antibiotics.

So the bet is still on

The problem with any novel antibiotic is provibg to the fda not only that it works, but precisely how it works

Sponsored Links
AZ have something years away which is proving highly susceptible to rapid resistance. They have decisions to make anyway on disease areas to stay in, this time next month they might not be doing antibiotics anymore.

Well, I hate to say I told you so, but Astrazeneca just announced that antibiotics aren't an area of research interest anymore. Not good.

Astrazeneca hasn't been working on new antibiotics for some time now because of regulation and cost of bringing to market. Other drugs are much more profitable and are easier to develop. But they do have projects working on antibiotic resistance and also projects looking at the way antibiotics actually work. If this can be cracked then existing antibiotics can be given a new lease of life. I think he said 'trojan horse' technology. Another research area are types of antibiotic that disable the bacteria rather than kill them off. So not what you would call an antibiotic as such but does the same job. Apparently these will be highly resistant to mutation. Can't say any more than that or I'd have to kill you.

Well...

Antibiotics have been known to be bacteriostatic (stops them reproducing so the body can sort them out) or bactericidal (kill them outright) for some time. This is nothing new and has nothing to do with resistance.

As I said, AZ are out of antibiotics now. If you know the head of science at AZ then he is likely to be looking for a new job..... (they keep on changing them of course and probably will for a bit yet )

Well...

Antibiotics have been known to be bacteriostatic (stops them reproducing so the body can sort them out) or bactericidal (kill them outright) for some time. This is nothing new and has nothing to do with resistance.

As I said, AZ are out of antibiotics now. If you know the head of science at AZ then he is likely to be looking for a new job..... (they keep on changing them of course and probably will for a bit yet )

Must have been since last Monday.
Monday 11 March 2013:

"In response to the growing global demand for new antibiotics, AstraZeneca is one of the few large pharmaceutical companies involved in the research and development of new therapies addressing the crisis of antibiotic resistance.

AstraZeneca, along with our industry partners, is working with governments and regulators globally to help get these much needed antibiotics into the hands of the medical community. We are also working with governments to drive awareness of responsible antibiotic prescribing."

http://www.astrazeneca.com/Research...eca-responds-to-report-on-antimicrobial-resis

Yep, it's all changed since then, yesterday's press release.

http://www.astrazeneca.com/Media/Pr...rategy-return-to-growth-scientific-leadership

Our research and development efforts will be more focused. In large and small molecule R&D, we will concentrate our scientific efforts and the weight of our investment, including business development, on three core therapy areas:

Respiratory, Inflammation & Autoimmunity
Cardiovascular & Metabolic Disease
Oncology

We will continue to be active in Infection & Vaccines and in Neuroscience, though our investments will be more opportunity-driven.

So they are out of antibiotics. That last bit means they will assess any opportunities they see on a case by case basis, but from what I know about what's going on there right now, they won't be investing much. Basically they aren't interested anymore.

I suspect my contacts there are better than yours :)

The press release is dated 21 March 2013 - my post was dated 12 march 2013. So I guess your contact is 9 days behind mine. I suppose that's how long it takes for the info to get from the top to the lab techs.

Now we both know that's not how it works - don't we ??

AZ restructuring and getting out of certain disease areas has been planned for months. It was only publically announced this week. Press releases from last week had to make it look as if nothing was going to change.

That's how a public traded company has to work. Your claimed mate at the top wouldn't have been able to tell you because it's "insider information". In fact he would have signed a piece of paper saying that if he did tell anybody he could be fired for gross misconduct.

i.e. no redundancy package, out on his ear.

Anyway, the real story is another large pharma are not interested in developing antibiotics. Even if a university went to a large pharma with an interesting antibiotic, the large pharma would in todays environment probably turn them away. The cost of getting that drug to market is so massive now and they don't have any spare cash.

I know this because my contacts are better than yours :)

It's not like the old days where somebody would find an interesting substance in a petri dish, and shortly after that substance was being tested on patients. That's how penicillin was developed, it's all changed since then.

I know this because my contacts are better than yours :)
You keep saying that but, as demonstrated, my man gets the info before yours so he is better.

As I said way back; the large drug companies have moved away from antibiotics because there are many other drugs far more profitable and easier to develop. This does not mean they don't have irons in the fire (as evidenced by the AZ website) and does not mean they wouldn't revert back if and when it becomes prudent to do so.

So we are really saying the same thing but with one important difference. Your man's mind is closed off. That's it, game over, no more anitibiotics, ever, close down all the labs and sack all the staff. Whereas my man moves his people over to other profitable areas of R&D and keeps his options open. I guess that's the difference between the lab staff and the decision makers.

My man is safe by the way. His area is microbial genetics, which carries across a wide range of treatments.

Sponsored Links
Back