Accenta 6 Alarm - Loss of power and Flashing PIRs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

The plasterer has been today and has somehow broke the burglar alarm. I've tested voltage going into the unit. The mains is supplying 240 Volts but this stops as soon as it hits the alarm's terminal box. The alarm has a power unit but this is encased in plastic and I cannot get to it. I think it could be a blown fuse in there.

The reason for this is the system still seems to be working via the battery. However, there are 3 zones / PIRS. 1 in the kitchen, lounge and hall. Strangely, the kitchen and hall are flashing repeatedly. I can set the alarm but obviously it is warning me that zones 1 and 3 have been tripped.

I have disconnected the battery (luckily without tripping the alarm). This means the alarm is currently powered down.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is and why the alarm is still functional with 2 of the 3 PIRs flashing repeatedly? (When powered)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok, hopefully sorted the power problem. The fuse in the Alarm Unit terminal box was blown but there was a replacement in the box.

I am not going to consider turning it back on until tomorrow. Last thing I want is a midnight alarm!!!

So the only question remains: does anyone know why 2 of the 3 zones were (and might still end up) flashing repeatedly?

When I power the system back up I'll post if they are still flashing.

i'm guessing he nicked a cable while plastering an momenterally shorted out the PIR supply blowing the PIR supply fuse (pir supply is usually seperately fused in alarm panels because this sort of incident does happen)

are there two different types of PIR? if so then it would make sense if they acted differently on supply failure.

Some PIR's do flash on and off for a very short while on power up, depends on the make/model.

Sponsored Links
Im not familiar with this panel but it seems feasible that theres a short from the alarm loop to the power supply of the PIR on the feed cable (first one on that zone that flashes). If the alarm loop or maybe even the anti tamper loop have a pulsed monitoring circuit within the panel...doubtful but feasible, then it could be that. Try getting a length of 6-core alarm cable, connect like for like both ends and switch on. If it clears the fault then you have your solution. Actually before that you confirm its not the panel by shorting out the alarm loop of that zone with a staple and removing the power supply and anti tamper loop of that zone, remembering to reconnect the anti tamper circuit.
Hope that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back