Adding a new security light to an existing lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all here is my plans and I would love some feedback.

My plan is to remove an existing 1 gang light switch and replace it with a 2 gang light switch and add a 500 watt security light to the switch.

At the moment the circuit has a 50w *4 light fixtures and a 20w light and my plan is to add the 500w light with its own light switch to the lighting circuit.
I’ve drawn a basic diagram of what I’m think of (please excuse the bad drawing it’s been some years since I’ve done one)

lighting.gif

Is this possible or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The switch for the downstairs light is not in the right place!

I guess thats just a drawing error?
Thereis no live into the two gang switch at the moment!
Please ident live and neutral on the consumer unit.
Where will you get a neutral for the outside light?
You'll need an RCD on the lighting circuit at the consumer unit.

Why on earth do you need 500watts? That's two amps - are you trying to light a football pitch, or something.

Building Regulations only allow max 150W.

We keep getting folk who want to fit 500w lights. If building regs limit to 150w then why do all my suppliers sell 500w and 300w. I have to request 150w and pay a premium.

You'll need an RCD on the lighting circuit at the consumer unit.

Building Regulations only allow max 150W.

If that light is fixed against the external wall of his house I *believe* an RCD isn't a requirement in this instance, unless the lighting circuit comes from the kitchen or bathroom of course.
That's assuming the regs are the same up there in the Cold Lands as well ;)

Sponsored Links
If that light is fixed against the external wall of his house I *believe* an RCD isn't a requirement in this instance,

I was assuming that the cable to the 2-gang switch would be chased into the wall <50mm from the surface so an RCD is required to comply unless special cable or steel conduit is used.

Here's the bit from Building Regs L1B

The RCD aside, I was just pointing out that the conservation regs might not be the same in Scotland as that seems to be where he's from :)

Blimey, Dundee. Didn't know they even had electrcity up there ;)

You are right though. Part L1B applies to England & Wales so all bets are off re Scotland until someone int eh know can put in some facts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back