Adding an extra socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
In my garage i have a small consumer unit which has the 2.5 T/E grey flat cable running to a double socket at the end of the garage.
Ive now decided that i need a double socket at the same end as the consumer unit.
Currently i have set up A but just asking if set up B is the way to go.

Attachments

• garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 269
Sponsored Links
Hi,

Can you post some photos of your current set up (i.e. The Consumer Unit in the Garage) as the forum regulars could ask to see them, in regards to whether you have RCD protection at the consumer unit.

As far as the diagram shows, it looks good in my view for what you want to achieve.

Hope this helps,

Andrew :)

Yes, you must have RCD protection for the sockets!

As far adding just one socket, then you can do as your diagram proposes. Just remember that the maximum current of all of the sockets will be the value of the fuse/MCB in the garage consumer unit. What is the value of that MCB?

EDIT,
I guess that you only have one cable going from the consumer unit to the existing socket?
If so you can wire the new socket from the consumer unit itself, or insert it into the cable run that goes to the existing socket.

Here is the consumer unit.

Attachments

• cu.jpg
    cu.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 216
Sponsored Links
That doesn't tell us anything unless you say what each of the four devices are assigned to?
There should be labels on/under each MCB/RCBO.

Ok,
Left to right
HAGER
ADB116 2.5 T/E to double socket in question
ADB110 2.5 T/E to double socket in garden, cutting grass etc.
MT106 lights
MT116 double sockets in conservatory
MAIN SWITCH

OK, so that is a 16amp RCBO (i.e. combination MCB and RCD).

SO, just remember that 16amps is the total maximum that you'll be able to draw from that socket circuit. Should be OK for general light use, unless you have in mind a tumble dryer, 3-bar electric fire, engine hoist, etc…

Thanks for that.
So,as opposed to my original plan of cutting the existing cable run to the existing socket i can just add the new length of wire from the new socket straight into the consumer unit RCBO.
You mention Tumble dryer,yes there is a Tumble dryer on the existing socket.
This new socket would be used now & then and even then only for 5 minutes.
So the combined draw should not exceed 16amps, Tumble dryers are around 10 amps i think ?
This appliance which will be run on the new socket is a small key cutting machine.
The label reads as follows,
Volts 220v
Motor power 120w
Frequency 50hZ

So thats 0.5amps correct

Yes you can connect to the RCBO. TURN THE MAIN SWITCH OFF FIRST before removing the cover to the consumer unit.
And be careful, even with the main switch off there are still live parts in there.

an additional 120watts will be insignificant.

So the combined draw should not exceed 16amps, Tumble dryers are around 10 amps i think ?
Often nearer 13A, but ...
This appliance which will be run on the new socket is a small key cutting machine.
The label reads as follows, ... Volts 220v ... Motor power 120w ... thats 0.5amps correct
Yep, about 0.5A - so even combined with a 13A dryer, that would still be well under 16A.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks very much for the advice.
I thought what i wanted to do was correct but putting straight into the RCBO is better for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back