adding consumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have added a shower circuit to my home. i have an old mem fuse board and cant add to it as they dont make those rewireable fuses anymore. i have bought a \\\"shower pack\\\" which includes a 63 amp rcd and a 40 amp mcb. how do i connect into what is there? there is no isolator at the cut out, only at the fuse board which obviously doesnt deadon ( is that a word?!! ) the incoming. do i need to use a tails splitter? if so how do i isolate the incoming? pull the main fuse? i have never done this and have been told its illegal. but also been told that the leccy board can make you go without power for days if they pull the main! or do i do it live?? any help will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Your a very brave man for two reasons

1. Even attempt what you propose to do :eek:

2. To post a question like that!!!!!!

I,m not an electrician but these guys are, and the majority are the dogs ********, they know there stuff so dont be offended when you read some of the replies, (its for your own good).

Agree with old fart, you sound out of your depth. And you'd be well advised to call an electrician.

The way its done, is the fuse board is switched off, the main fuse is pulled (which is hazardous in itself, live parts are exposed when this is done, and some old fuse carriers can break as they are pulled), the tails are taken through a 100A DP isolater, then to henley blocks, and from there, tails go out to both CUs, Earth goes from the incomming earth to a MET, and from there go the main bonding conductors, and the earths to each CU

But I must repeat, changing or adding consumer units is a job for an electrician or a *very* competant electrical DIYer

Sponsored Links
i am competant to the extent of new rings etc and have done the course which allows me to join the niceic but not yet completely registered until my work has been checked. all the earths go to the old fuseboard at the moment. are you saying that the main earth should be taken out and put into a met and then back to the old fuse board? do i really need a met? can you also help me with this one. bonding in bathrooms!! the cpc in the shower is ok to act as bonding is it not? what i mean is that i dont have to then take an earth from the connection in the shower and then put a clamp on the water pipe. is that right? also i have fitted mains halogen lights in the bathroom. theres no earth to connect to so what do i do with the cpc's?

Slip
Ditto

You don't JOIN the NICEIC, you register with them as a Competent Person (please note spelling of Competent).
Asking questions of this nature reveals the fact that you are registering as a Domestic Installer, or if going for FULL reg, don't have a cat in hells chance of being accepted.

Look up your local college and enrol on an Electrical Installation course.

I apologise if this sounds a little harsh but letting someone with as little knowledge as you display, loose on the good people of this island, makes my blood boil.

playin with meter tails is not something for a DIYER. especially if they are live. either get a sparky to do it, contact the DNO to fit an isolator or contact the DNO and ask them to disconnect the supply and reconnet it

ok so i have registered with the niceic and paid the 400 odd quid. i did the dei 2 week course in june and want to be a domestic installer.when the niceic inspect 2 examples of my work and i pass those then i can self certify. sorry if this is seen as 2nd best but most of the sparks that i know have only joined as domestic installers.i have come across a lot of jealousy from electricians who have been wiring for a hundred years but the simple fact is that we have been taking work off them for years so why are they bleating about it now? surely there are less unqualified people doing the work now. that is if part p is working!!

sijaysee said:
surely there are less unqualified people doing the work now. that is if part p is working!!
Apparently not.

On the basis of the questions you are asking, there is at least one unqualified person still doing it, only now he's pretending to be qualified.

but i am actually qualified!! ......... i am just waiting for the niceic to approve me and then i can self-certify. but dont you see my point. before all of this part p stuff, which lets remember only affects special locations and doesnt stop anyone spurring 6 sockets in a lounge, there were even more cowboys out there....at least i made the effort to actually try to do it the right way. or is that wrong of me?

I think the point being made in this thread, is that there is more to qualification than holding a piece of paper which says you're qualified.

Someone who has the skills and knowledge to do domestic installs should not be asking such basic questions as these.

Incidentally, Part P covers all electrical work in dwellings.

sijaysee,

Please don't take this the wrong way and I can assure you that jealousy is the last thing to be applied to electrical work, (there is more than enough to go around), but you have displayed a basic lack of understanding when it comes to electrics.

It is good that you have taken the step of signing up for Domestic Installer, but there is more to safety than a 2 day course. Our Local NICEIC Area engineer tells me that they are now being tasked with overseeing the Dom Inst Inspectors and the inspections next year will be more stringent. Please take on board the sage advice given by these experienced Electricians, none of us want your customers to make a claim on your £2 million indemnity insurance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back