adding consumer units

sijaysee said:
but i am actually qualified!!
I would dispute that.

You may have obtained a qualification, but your questions show that you fall short of what could reasonably be defined as competent, therefore you are not, IMO, qualified to do electrical work for reward, yet, at least not without supervision.

Analogy - would you feel confident with a 17-year old driver who'd passed his test in the morning to drive you and your family down to Folkestone, onto the shuttle, and then off at the other end and into the centre of Paris in the afternoon?

He's passed his test. But is he qualified to do that job?

before all of this part p stuff, which lets remember only affects special locations
No - it affects everything.

and doesnt stop anyone spurring 6 sockets in a lounge
It probably won't stop them, but it does make it illegal.

at least i made the effort to actually try to do it the right way. or is that wrong of me?
No - it is certainly not wrong of you, but hopefully you see (and the fact that you find yourself asking questions on a DIY site should back this up) that your learning has not stopped - it's just begun.

Do you plan to get 2381 & 2391 next?

Sponsored Links
sijaysee said:
i have added a shower circuit to my home. i have an old mem fuse board and cant add to it as they dont make those rewireable fuses anymore. i have bought a \\\"shower pack\\\" which includes a 63 amp rcd and a 40 amp mcb. how do i connect into what is there? there is no isolator at the cut out, only at the fuse board which obviously doesnt deadon ( is that a word?!! ) the incoming. do i need to use a tails splitter? if so how do i isolate the incoming? pull the main fuse? i have never done this and have been told its illegal. but also been told that the leccy board can make you go without power for days if they pull the main! or do i do it live?? any help will be appreciated
As I always say. KNOW YOUR LIMITS!

I know what I would do to replace the CU. But guess what, I'm calling someone in. This isnt just some ring or a spur etc, this is the CU!

To the rest of you pro's. Do you see now, why some us prefer to do our own work! Rather than call in a pro, who has a piece of paper!

No offense intended.

Bazdaa

si

I'm with the rest - if you HAVE to ask these questions then you shouldn't be doing the work.

What are you going to do if a customer asks you about certification - if you don't know the basic metering arrangements in a domestic dwelling how are you ever going to fill in (or know how to fill in) a certificate.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

If you want to really give the trade a go get some experience with a good local spark.

Sponsored Links
i can fill out the forms! i know if somethings tncs or tt or tns.i know how to determine the correct size of protective device, cable etc..... i know how to do earth fault loop impedance tests, rcd tests, continuity etc etc. im not a complete ****** you know!!!

sijaysee said:
i can fill out the forms! i know if somethings tncs or tt or tns.i know how to determine the correct size of protective device, cable etc..... i know how to do earth fault loop impedance tests, rcd tests, continuity etc etc. im not a complete **** you know!!!

And I bet you tick all the boxes on the schedule too. :LOL:

sijaysee said:
i can fill out the forms! i know if somethings tncs or tt or tns.i know how to determine the correct size of protective device, cable etc..... i know how to do earth fault loop impedance tests, rcd tests, continuity etc etc. im not a complete **** you know!!!
It's just the rules of punctuation that confound you then. I can imagine what your completed forms look like...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back