Adding light to room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to add a light to corridor in my home

Currently, the only electrical item in the corridor is a smoke alarm (which is powered by the lighting circuit)

To create the new light, can i simply take power from the smoke alarm and connect this to a Quinetic receiver in order to create the switch for the light?

Hacking walls is not an option

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A bathroom with tiled floors

That's an interesting question. Would it have helped if there was a bedroom above or something?

Many thanks.

it would have been much easier if you could lift a floorboard to expose the wiring.

Mains voltage smoke alarms are often (now, usually) interconnected and not simply hung on the lighting circuit.

Mains voltage smoke alarms are often (now, usually) interconnected and not simply hung on the lighting circuit.
Yes, but the L&N are just part of the lighting radial circuit. I doubt that the OP would mess around with the interconnect conductor, why would he?

I don't know, I can't see the connections.

They are more or less all the same.
We could ask the OP to post a pic for you, if you like.

@veedee can you do this for JohnD. He’s not sure.

it would have been much easier if you could lift a floorboard to expose the wiring.

Oh i understand.

In my case, the alarms are not interconnected

They are more or less all the same.
We could ask the OP to post a pic for you, if you like.

@veedee can you do this for JohnD. He’s not sure.
Image attached

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_123021468~2.jpg
    IMG_20200609_123021468~2.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 157
Ok easy Peasy then. You have there live neutral and earth all ready to connect to your Quinetic receiver, and the light.

the white wire, seemingly not used. Is that for potential interconnect?

Yes

If the alarms are to be interconnected with cables, the normal method is to bring a mains feed to the first alarm, then 3 core and earth Cable from the first alarm to the other alarms. the 3 cores bring live, neutral and alarm interconnect.
this means that all alarms sound if any of them is triggered. Also all alarms can be silenced by pressing the hush button on any alarm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back