Adjustment to a patio door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two further questions about my patio door.

Firstly, when locked there is still a slight amount of travel in the door. In other words, if you pull it towards the open position, it moves slightly; perhaps as much as 5mm. Is this normal, and if not, how do I adjust it to make it tight?

Secondly, and this may be related to the above, a couple of the screws holding the locking mechanism to the moving section of the door are not biting, but turning freely. I've tried taping the threads but this hasn't made any appreciable difference. Is there anything else I can do to tighten them up? I don't want to start shoving plastic plugs in the holes in case I cause any damage, although I did consider the old substitute of cocktail sticks.

Lastly, and not patio door but still UPVC related, could someone point me in the direction of an online retailer who does dry verge goods with reasonable P and P charges? I need a white dry verge apex cap, but to order one online from the only retailer I've found so far increases the price by a factor of 3, once you add postage.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. We may need a pick of the locking mech on the door but usually the locking cams can just be screwed in more reducing the amount of play.

2. Usually I would just replace with a slightly fatter screw.

3. Eurocell have branch's all over the place you could pop into
http://www.eurocell.co.uk/8/branch-finder-1?pc_err
or maybe National Plastics

1. Thanks, I'll sort out a pic later.

2. Again thanks. If I'm replacing just a couple of screws could I use woodscrews?

3. I managed to get one yesterday from a local branch of Huws Gray, but thanks anyhow for the info.

Sponsored Links
Any screw with a larger thread will do but ideally you want a similar sized head.

It looks like you just have hook locks so no adjustment there. Its not anything to worry about really.

Well, thanks anyhow.

Just to provide a bit of extra security, when I lock the door I'll wedge it shut with the wife's walking stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back