Advice - Install UPVC Windows myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK Heres the deal. Got some windows to fit about 7. Now I'm just wondering if its worth all the hassel of going through Building Regs/Fensa to approve my work or would the easier option be to get some window fitters in?

I've got no problems fitting the windows myself its just all the miles of red tape to get them all compliant I'm not sure about. On a cost point of view how much less would it be to include all the fees associated with FENSA/Building regs? Does it work out to be considerably cheaper from your experiences? The biggest window will cost me about £120 to get made.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You need to make sure the company making your windows use compliant double glazed units which i would of thought they would as standard anyway, that you specify toughened safety glass where required and that the bedrooms have fire escape hinges and opening big enough to comply with the regs.
Guessing you get all of that right plus the other important stuff i have forgotten after installation you would the get your local council to inspect and hopefully ok, costs vary borough to borough but expect to pay a 2-3 hundred quid!

Be careful, as far as I know it’s the installation company that’s FENSA registered not the fitters so employing one freelance may not help. A decent, local DG company will get quality units cheaper than you can, will (should!) fit them to a high standard if you pick the right company & their fitting changes are usually only around £50 per window £70 per door. You will also get a 10 year warranty (debatable if that’s actually worth much these days) & if they make any mistakes on the survey or break a glazing unit, they have to foot the bill, not you; they will also remove & dispose of the old windows &, more importantly, give you a certificate of compliance & notify your LABC. I’ve fitted the odd window DIY but if your having the lot done, you should weigh up if it’s worth the hassle, additional LABC fee (around £100 or so) & trust they will approve your installation efforts; I decided it wasn't!

Some glazing bars can also be a pig to fit if your inexperienced & fully glazed doors need to be properly set up or they won’t shut properly.

Cheers for the advice guys. Its only windows that need doing no doors. The company I've used before seems very compettitive, its a local one to me and normally very good. Will check with them their windows fit the bill. Will also give the local BC a ring to find out what needs doing. £50 a window fitted doesnt sound too bad though... Will have toget a few quotes done.

Sponsored Links
manchester building control approval is £69 inc VAT for any number of replacement windows.
you will have to be sure that the windows you get conform to all parts of the regs. the building control officers can be surprisingly helpful on advising you what to check.
FENSA is a self-cert scam (sorry, scheme) that covers the companies not the individuals. The company will almost certainly want to measure and make/source the windows themselves.

manchester building control approval is £69 inc VAT for any number of replacement windows.
Blimey that’s cheap; how come they seem to be so much cheaper “up north” then.
you will have to be sure that the windows you get conform to all parts of the regs. the building control officers can be surprisingly helpful on advising you what to check.
But it can still be a minefield for the inexperienced.
FENSA is a self-cert scam (sorry, scheme) that covers the companies not the individuals.
That’s as I understand it; individual fitters can’t self certify, it has to be the DG supply & installation company that’s registered. I don know the criteria for registration but there is an annual fee + a charge for each certification & notification to LABC as far as I'm aware. They are usually about as much use as a chocolate ashtray when there are problems but using a registered installer will at least tick the necessary boxes & save you the hassle with LABC; but you must still check out your chosen installer very thoroughly to ensure you get a quality installation. CERTASS is a relatively new kid on the block but it remains to be seen weather or not they will prove to be a real alternative & inject enough competition into the proceedings in favour of the customer rather than their "golden goose" registered companies? Probably not!
The company will almost certainly want to measure and make/source the windows themselves.
Yes they will want to keep up their margins but I found the small local DG companies I narrowed it down to could still supply my chosen profiles (not low cost budget units) cheaper than I could get them & having them fitted didn’t really cost me that much more + I didn’t have all the hassle with LABC; as I said, I have installed individual units but for me, at the extra it cost, it was a no brainer. ;)

I have not spent much time investigating replacement windows but there is a big difference between the trade supply and the retain salesmen on huge commissions.

Its not clear to me yet how you get the trade prices and dispose of the salesmen.

One clear scam is the bay window. These are typically three windows with an angle post at each of the two corners. These seem to be quoted at double the prices of any other windows even though the only other differences are the corner posts.

The same arises with a small bay I have where there are brick piers in between the three windows even though they are just three independent windows.

How do the builders deal with the FENSA Cert when they buy and fit the windows themselves.

What about all the DIYers who get their windows through Wickes or B&Q ?

Tony

That may satisfy building control but solicitors now ask for FENSA certificates when selling/bying.

Tony

well they will ask for that, because that is what 95% of people will have received.

the LABC certificate is equally valid that the installation is in accordance with the building regs.

I think the reason they like a current FENSA certificate is that it usually comes in association with a 3rd party 10 year warranty supplied by the installer which can then be passed on to the new owner. An LABC cert is just certification that the windows & installation conforms to BR's, I don’t know how much chance you’d stand of getting a 3rd party, 10 year warranty with one of those in your not a registered installer.

never come across those being given to any friends/neighbours/acquaintances. it's certainly not a general requirement for a house for sale.

never come across those being given to any friends/neighbours/acquaintances. it's certainly not a general requirement for a house for sale.
What isn’t a requirement, a FENSA/Building Regs cert. or a warranty?

I didn’t say a warranty was a requirement of sale but you may well be asked for one on a recent window installation. Won’t matter too much if you can provide either a FENSA (or the other new mob) or LABC certificate which, increasingly with HIPS, you will be asked to produce to avoid problems with your sale. The lack of any extended warranty on a recent window install won’t prevent a sale but for those in the “know”, it will be used use for negotiation on price, especially in the current market! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back