Advice needed on radiator primer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

To cut a log story short i have had a radiator that has been stripped down due to having so many coats of paint on it. I had to do it this way as we need to keep and refit the orignal radiator back on the wall.

My question is what kind and type of primer do i need to use as there is so many to pick from.

Is this one ok and safe to use International White Quick Drying Radiator Primer 250ml - £6.12

Was then going to paint it with Rustins Gloss Finish White Radiator Enamel Paint 250ml - £5.04

Sponsored Links
I personally would give it a coat of oil based undercoat followed by two coats of oil basd gloss, thinned down. Quick drying paint will probably be water based and not too good on metal. The radiator enamels are not easy to put on properly as they dry too quick and give off serious fumes.

Hi,

Which oil based undercoat and oil based gloss can you recommend from Wickes or B&Q as there is so many i am not sure which one to purchase

Chris

I personally would give it a coat of oil based undercoat followed by two coats of oil basd gloss, thinned down. Quick drying paint will probably be water based and not too good on metal. The radiator enamels are not easy to put on properly as they dry too quick and give off serious fumes.

Wickes only do their own brand, but the undercoat would be ok. Use a decent gloss like Dulux, Crown or similar. You must thin the gloss if going on a radiator.

Sponsored Links
The reason they make metal primers is that you need metal primers for metal. You risk peeling otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back