Advice on how best to cut holes for new double plug sockets

Sponsored Links
pretty useless for everyday use then.

I've never thought it is good for everyday use. My comment was for the OP and UKMICKY, who seem to be DIY-ers like me. I have used it on bricks couple of times if the hole in the plaster wasn't deep enough. It is slower compared to plaster/breezbloks but did the job.

the answer to the question depends on what the wall is made of.

And whether there is anything in the way of furniture, floor covering, lamp shades or wallpaper that will not be improved by being coated with gritty abrasive and fine dust.

Sponsored Links
While looking what tool to by I came across good reviews for Armeg and Erbauer cutters but I have just my house to do, so the expenses couldn't be justified.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
ahh, sorry ban, I'm too busy, but I could send Mr Sparkybird along as a substitute if you like?

I have the armeg box cutting kit, fab for new builds/extensions (breeze/clinker block etc) takes about 5 mins to cut a DSSO box in, but more hastle than its worth with Brick.

Used it probably about 10 times in the last 18 months, normally stick to just pepper potting the wall with a 12mm bit, and then using a SDS chisel to take out the dross (the wide 'hard material' chisel in the armeg is the perfect size for back boxes).

I have this set and it is excellent

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Quadcut-Multi...ies_Electrical_ET&hash=item1e60377daa[/QUOTE]

Thank you for information, I would buy one but I have always worried about it lasting for one job and not really saving time over a bolster chisel or just a plain sds chisel
How long have you had it for and how much use has it had?
What materials have you used it on?

Regards Martin

Hello Martin

I have had my kit for about 6 months now and have not had any problems done about 100 sockets and switches or so in Aeriated/Cinder/Concrete blocks soft red and yellow block and flittings with no problems

Spare parts can be ordered direct from the company but I have not felt the need to replace any of my gear yet.

The only slight negative is you have to use a drill template for double back boxes to mark the holes side by side for the circular cutter which takes a bit of getting used to and the fixing hole it drills is a little big for my brand of rawl plug

Other than that very very happy and save loads of time and mess

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The last posting leads on to another question. Do I need to have conduit from a socket downwards, or can I simply plaster over insulated cable? How deep should these be?

yes conduit or cover
depth varies according to protection level provided by RCD's in your Consumer Unit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back