Advice on painting fireplace surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking to paint a previously varnished fireplace surround -

IMG_7570.PNG

Its removed from the wall so quite easy to work on. I think I need to sand it, prime it, sand it, undercoat it, sand it paint it, sand it, paint it.

Is that correct? I am unsure on what type of primer and which sandpaper to use at each stage? Any pointers appreciated. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you sand it well then any oil-based primer will do. But if you want to be absolutely bullet proof use Zinsser BIN (meths based, it dries within seconds so don't overwork it). Then undercoat until you have a nice opaque colour. Lightly sand, vacuum, then a couple of top coats.

I use a coarse paper before priming (100 grit or something). After that go finer. I like to use one of those sponge sanding blocks.

If you sand it well then any oil-based primer will do. But if you want to be absolutely bullet proof use Zinsser BIN (meths based, it dries within seconds so don't overwork it). Then undercoat until you have a nice opaque colour. Lightly sand, vacuum, then a couple of top coats.

I use a coarse paper before priming (100 grit or something). After that go finer. I like to use one of those sponge sanding blocks.

Thanks Gerry, so can I used Zinsser BIN as a primer, then use it again as an undercoat? Should I sand inbetween this? Cheers

Sponsored Links
No, use a proper undercoat (might as well use water based, it's less effort). You can use a combined primer+undercoat too of course, on top of the BIN. You don't need to sand between every coat, unless you see any obvious nibs or drips you want to get rid of. Basically if it looks like it needs sanding, then you sand it. I just go over lightly with a foam block at each stage, but I only look carefully before the top coats. Always vacuum after any sanding. It is good practice to key the surface between top coats, although not essential when using the same paint type.

No, use a proper undercoat (might as well use water based, it's less effort). You can use a combined primer+undercoat too of course, on top of the BIN. You don't need to sand between every coat, unless you see any obvious nibs or drips you want to get rid of. Basically if it looks like it needs sanding, then you sand it. I just go over lightly with a foam block at each stage, but I only look carefully before the top coats. Always vacuum after any sanding. It is good practice to key the surface between top coats, although not essential when using the same paint type.

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on.

Or use Zinsser Bullseye 123 which is water based, so easier to wash out etc but will still adhere to the sanded varnish just as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back