advice on quote please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm seeking quotes to supply and install a 40cm wide radiator into an existing gas central heating system. the radiator would be installed to the left of an internal door, pipes would be routed around the door (up over down) and connected into the system at the combi boiler that is located at the right side of the door.

I've been quoted £275 for the works, £175 for materials, £100 for labour. this seems a bit high to me. obviously I don't know all the parts required but a quick look on Screwfix and I'm wondering if the £175 is justified:

£16: Kudox Premium Type 11 Radiator 40cm wide x 60cm high
£30: 5 x 3m 15mm copper pipe (I've estimated this, each 3m is £6)
£12: Drayton TRV & Lockshield
£10: End Feeds
£68: TOTAL

in the engineers defense I think he mentioned opting for a 35cm wide x 70cm high double panel radiator that is 'more expensive and special order' and obviously I don't know what quality of materials he's quoting for or any additional parts over and above those I've listed. even though, based on Screwfix prices for materials, surely it can't be any more than circa £100? I can't comment on labour as I don't know how long the job will take and all the tasks involved, so if £100 is fair for the labour I'm estimating the job shouldn't be more than £200.

what do you think? pic of area, the door is just visible on the left, the radiator will be fitted on the wall to the left of the door, can't be seen on pic.

Sponsored Links
for a double rad of that size your looking at around 45 for the rad.

rad-45 (could be more depending on brand)
decent valves -20
litre of decent corrosion inhibitor -15
pipe-30
materials-10
sundries- flux. solder,screws ect 10

so £130 plus profit which would work out at about £35 hardly ripping anyone of considering he has to arrange and collect parts ( all businesses are entitled to and should sell things at a margin)
plus the fact he has to arrange collection ect, plus time already spent quoting your job ect.

prices seem reasonable to me.

I'm assuming there's a trace of sarcasm in your reply? all I'm really querying is, is £175 for materials reasonable.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I think £275 is very reasonable.

I'm not a plumber, but perhaps it's broken down in that way because if he shows the bigger number as labour then others feel he is ripping them off? Just a theory.

I'd personally look at the overall figure and ask myself "is that reasonable?"

I know your specific question is about the cost of materials on the quote, but as I say above, maybe he's learnt this is the best way to present quotes.

He's not ripping you of in my view. He's got to make a living.

Plus he has to warranty the work and materials and run a business.

Yes there is sarcasm in there. THis isn't moneyseupermarket.com.

I wish plumbers/engineers would stop calling it flipping labour. Do you consider the time he spent pricing the work and materials labour? It certainly COST HIM money.

£16: Kudox Premium Type 11 Radiator 40cm wide x 60cm high
£30: 5 x 3m 15mm copper pipe (I've estimated this, each 3m is £6)
£12: Drayton TRV & Lockshield
£10: End Feeds
£68: TOTAL

You forgot to add:

£xx pension
£xx holiday pay
£xx sick pay
£xx diesel
£xx van insurance
£xx public liability insurance
£xx accountants fees
£xx tools
£xx van
£xx maintenance
£xx mortgage
£xx clothes
£xx phones
£xx stationary
£xx sundry materials
£xx food
£xx a dozen other things

dan, i'm not going to get into an arguement on this, your replies are verging on being slightly aggressive. jeez, if someone can't post a relatively simple question without getting war & peace thrown back at them ...

and it's almost irrelevant to me if it's cost the tradesman time coming out to quote. in this instance he popped in after a job he was working on close to my location. was in maybe 5 mins, popped out to van and emailed the quote there and then, so hardly a massive about of time and effort. in addition, he offers 'free quotes and estimates' so again he's obviously factoring in not getting paid for every job he quotes for.

thanks others for replies.

free quotes and estimates'

free to you.
not him.

You can see my posts as aggressive if you wish. You could also see them as considered and factual.

it's almost irrelevant to me if it's cost the tradesman time coming out to quote

Then why should the price be relevant? You consider the lights being on in your favourite supermarket to be relevant or not? They are runnings costs. These costs are factored into the products you buy. Some have more margin than others? Or do you think it costs tesco 78p for a loaf of Hovis?

and it's almost irrelevant to me if it's cost the tradesman time coming out to quote. in this instance he popped in after a job he was working on close to my location. was in maybe 5 mins, popped out to van and emailed the quote there and then, so hardly a massive about of time and effort. in addition, he offers 'free quotes and estimates' so again he's obviously factoring in not getting paid for every job he quotes for.

thanks others for replies.

You only seem to be thinking about yourself and what you are gong to pay.

I am sure that, on reflection, you will admit that it still costs him some time to come and give you the quote.

It is not cost effective to waste my time going to give free quotes, instead I ask questions on the phone and give a budgetary price based on what I am told.

As you say not every customer is going to accept his quotes so its quite likely that he will do two or three quotes for each one that is accepted. By chance you may have been close to where he was working but most other quotes will not be.

I would charge about the same but I would quote you just the £275 figure. That's avoids cheapskates arguing over how its made up.

Tony

thanks agile, this might or might not have any bearing, but i notice you're based in london and i wonder, if it's true that london prices are slightly higher than further north, the fact i'm based in scotland (and not the capital or large city e.g. glasgow) would lead you to think the £275 is perhaps slightly high or still reasonable?

I'd think this price was dear at first glance but everything is dear nowadays if labour rates are £25 to £35 ph which is why I try and DIY everything apart from gas, electric and roofs!

I'd think this price was dear at first glance but everything is dear nowadays if labour rates are £25 to £35 ph which is why I try and DIY everything apart from gas, electric and roofs!

I wonder if your wages are dear to your employer? :rolleyes:

There are certainly some depressed areas like Coventry, Tyneside and Manchester etc. where the charges can be a little lower, but not usually much lower.

Scotland seems to me to have a generally better standard of living and the impression I get is that charges there are if anything higher than much of the country. Added to that is the greater distances and time taken to travel to the more outlying areas.

For me to get to Lochinver from Inverness may not be all that far but it certainly takes quite a while.

To get to any Indian restaurant from Lochinver was 80 miles in each direction when I was there. The alternative was the George Hotel closed all winter or the Seamen's mission! Now the scene has changed and there are a couple of other restaurants but at a price!

Tony

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back