advice on quote please

Sponsored Links
I've been quoted £275 for the works, £175 for materials, £100 for labour.

If they had quoted £75 for materials and £200 for labour would you be complaining about the price?
Or if they just said 'price is £275' with no details on what each item was?

If they had quoted £75 for materials and £200 for labour would you be complaining about the price?
Or if they just said 'price is £275' with no details on what each item was?

Which is why I have said many times here, I never give a broken down quote. As soon as you do that you open the doors to the punter hitting the internet for a cost comparison. Even if you can convince the punter that your price is fair, it still takes time.
Clients never regard discussion time as "work", but I bet they would not be happy having a boss or colleague phoning them every evening to discuss an issue at work, without being paid for that time.
FWIW I think the charge is reasonable, but I don't know about distances or parking issues. I do know that £12 for a Drayton TRV & locksheild is cheaper than is actually available;
OP: if you are uncomfortable, then phone another fitter.

It may not be the Drayton TRV4 which I normally fit.

Could be the Drayton RT212 cheaper one.

I expect the cheap Drayton is a wax element rather than the liquid filled TRV4 which responds in about 1/3 of the time.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Pricing a job is often difficult, it is made more difficult now as end user can trawl the Internet and get a figure and then the scenario we have here is kicked into motion.

To source a product locally against getting it remotely from Internet company, item will always be dearer. Then there is the issue of possible damaged or faulty goods. Item sourced locally by the tradesperson will be replaced quickly whereas remotely sourced item replacement is at the whim of Internet supplier.

I work on T&M basis. If the customer wants to supply his/ her own material, so be it. I would fit it for time it takes. If item faulty or defective, then additional time chargeable.

It may not be the Drayton TRV4 which I normally fit.

Could be the Drayton RT212 cheaper one.

I expect the cheap Drayton is a wax element rather than the liquid filled TRV4 which responds in about 1/3 of the time.

Tony

Tony, surely the price difference will be coppers rather than gold nuggets:confused:
Personally, I prefer Danfoss, which is a stock item for me. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back