Advice on where to have combi boiler fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Going to be having a combi put in soon, not sure whether to have it in the current utility room or in the loft, read on for reasons.

Would have had it in the garage...but it hasn't been built yet.

See attached picture for position of boiler if put in utility room. Black lines is current house, red is extension, blue will be boiler location and flue. This room will eventually be extended to the side and will be a will dual purpose utility room and kids craft/playroom.

As you can see we will be having a single storey rear and side extension in the not too distant future. Will it be a case of extending the existing horizontal flue to go up and out the extension roof, if so will it be a straightforward job? Also the condensate run off pipe will have to be extended, again is this straightforward?

The alternative location is in the loft, which currently meets all the regs required, lighting, flooring, electricity ladders etc it's a semi and would be positioned on the internal chimney wall

Grateful for any advice, opnions

Attachments

• 20220215_095650.jpg
    20220215_095650.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220215_110220.jpg
    20220215_110220.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All I would say is that a mate of mine has a combi in his loft and it takes soooooo long for the hot water to reach the kitchen tap that they wash up in cold water.

Could you not fit it outside and build a temporary waterproof insulated cupboard to house it?

It's not only the run off of cold water before the hot gets to the tap; that's just annoying. The hot water that you've just paid to heat sits in the pipe after the tap is turned off and grows cold. The longer the run, the more the waste. Hardly ecofriendly.

Might as well ask a neighbour if you could put it in their kitchen.

Just move the boiler when the extension is built. Perhaps buy a cheap boiler now and then a more higher spec when the work is done if you don't want to chance moving the boiler.

There are boilers that can be fitted externally.

Boilers in lofts are never a good idea, might be the easiest for some installers, but your boiler will still be at the highest point in the system, any water loss, bleeding a radiator etc and the boiler will switch off and need re-pressurising

Sponsored Links
1st choice is in the utility, although vulcans following idea is beginning to grow on me..

'Might as well ask a neighbour if you could put it in their kitchen' I like it, solves all the issues :)

Will have a look at the idea of maybe a temp weatherproof cupboard for it until the garage is built around it

How much would roughly would I be looking at to have it moved at a later date? Last resort though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back