Advice Please regarding Gassafe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who will be the first to show a photo of the gas burning from a nipple?

Sponsored Links
It's nothing to do with closing ranks, you asked about errors in your installer's work, we've pointed out a bigger one than you're asking about and now you've got uppity about us pointing that out, and you haven't answered Dan's question either

Tell me what have I done wrong in placing a unjointed piece of pipe behind a bit off Ply?

It's nothing to do with closing ranks, you asked about errors in your installer's work, we've pointed out a bigger one than you're asking about and now you've got uppity about us pointing that out, and you haven't answered Dan's question either

Tell me what have I done wrong in placing a unjointed piece of pipe behind a bit off Ply?
YOU haven't done anything wrong...

Sponsored Links

Can you clarify one thing, has my gas safe fitter broken any laws by connecting to an uninterrupted piece of copper Which can be seen to be uninterrupted via removing the end trim of the boxing?

[QUOTE="Guildster, post: 3526562, member: 233891

I am not sure that is the case!

You cannot just go enclosing gas pipes behind "bits of ply"!

Gas pipes have complicated rules about ventilation of the spaces they pass through!

You will not have studied that, your installer should have done.

But I would agree with anyone who said they were difficult and not logical.

Tony

[QUOTE="Guildster, post: 3526562, member: 233891

I am not sure that is the case!

You cannot just go enclosing gas pipes behind "bits of ply"!

Gas pipes have complicated rules about ventilation of the spaces they pass through!

You will not have studied that, your installer should have done.

But I would agree with anyone who said they were difficult and not logical.

Tony
Tony I know I have done nothing wrong, I employed this guy in good faith I was asking weather or not my gas fitter has broken any laws, surely it is in the best interest of gas safe engineers to help clean up their trade, or is it a case of rank closing? I understand you loyalty but I think it is misguided and equally as reckless as the diyers this forum readily condemn.

I opened the box and the smell was really noticeable, I have some leak spray so I sprayed the joints and the test nipple which bubbled away like a good un, I turned of the emergency valve and called National grid, the guy came from the Grid he said it was one full turn from falling off!

kind regards Tony

For somebody who has some leak spray, can you give any logical reason why you did not just tighten up the nipple yourself?

To me that seems a VERY odd reaction when in 10 seconds you could have stopped the leak yourself rather than having to wait up to 2 hours for NG to attend?

Are you a pedantic vindictive person?

Tony

No not vindictive, just don't like paying good money to someone who does a crap job, as for tightening it myself it was not my job it was my gas safe guys, if I had undone it I would have tightened it. Also I was concerned about the other work he had done and wanted it checked out and a proper tightness test done on it, is that not reasonable or is it being vindictive?

Running the pipe is part of the defined scope of a gas qualified installer.

I can only assume that by running the pipe yourself it somehow advantaged you, probably financially as it reduced the number of visits required or time taken.

So your chosen gas installer has failed twice; he shouldn't have connected gas to a pipe, laid by you. If it was jointless he would have to be capable of satisfying himself that it was, by inspecting the entire length. And he shouldn't have left the test nipple loose.

Gas Safe Register come down very hard on gas fitters signing off (eg: fronting) an experienced pipe fitter's work, never mind a self professed DIYer.

Like all professions , there are good and bad within the industry. The bad are usually rotten in every respect; as evidenced in this example; they don't exercise proper diligence in their work, and are prepared to illegally front work for householders with similar scruples to themselves looking to save money.

Running the pipe is part of the defined scope of a gas qualified installer.

I can only assume that by running the pipe yourself it somehow advantaged you, probably financially as it reduced the number of visits required or time taken.

So your chosen gas installer has failed twice; he shouldn't have connected gas to a pipe, laid by you. If it was jointless he would have to be capable of satisfying himself that it was, by inspecting the entire length. And he shouldn't have left the test nipple loose.

Gas Safe Register come down very hard on gas fitters signing off (eg: fronting) an experienced pipe fitter's work, never mind a self professed DIYer.

Like all professions , there are good and bad within the industry. The bad are usually rotten in every respect; as evidenced in this example; they don't exercise proper diligence in their work, and are prepared to illegally front work for householders with similar scruples to themselves looking to save money.

Simond thank you for a honest and straightforward answer, I am not here to argue with people I just wanted some clarification of what was right and wrong with the job you have provided it clearly and respectfully.

Just to clarify the pipe was in position when he came to quote on the job! I put it in a week before as it was the only way I could fit the kitchen.
The thing I find interesting, theoretically you are signing of other people's work ever week, as you could come to a job where some one has run old pipe work and tells you it's been there for years, or more so the guy who owned the house prior has done the work and the new owner and yourself haven't a clue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back