Advice Please regarding Gassafe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh but the difference is that in your case the installer was aware that you had run your own pipework.

But to be fair. I don't necessarily agree with some people's opinions that he was in the wrong with connecting to the pipework. If a length of unjointed copper was the only bit of the install he didn't do himself, it doesn't really constitute signing off someone else's gas work. More that he was satisfied that you were capable of clipping it to the wall and not too near any electric cables. And In most cases this is easy to inspect with a mirror and a torch so how do you know he didn't check it

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
When Tony mentioned Pedantic and Vindictive, I instantly got fond memories of PedanticVindictiveMan!

Is he still around in the CC, or has he disappeared from public view?

Used to love his rants - in the nicest possible way.

NG fitters are notorious for bigging themselves. If the nipple was practically hanging off, it would have been stinking, and you would not have had to stick your nose right in to smell it.
Your RGI was at fault, but (and I think there was an earlier quick reference to this), one screws the nipple in hand tightish, and nips up with a screwdriver, followed by a squirt or brush of LDF. It is very easy to forget the last bit, especially with the customer over your shoulder (normally "not checking on you, but just interested in seeing someone work").
You said in th OP that you " (I) ran most of the pipe work, he connected the hob and supply end". That does not sound like a bit of pipe behind a wood panel. You just happened to have a tin of LDF?. You used it to check the nipple. I beleive it is unlikely that anyone who had LDF, sprayed a nipple, found it leaking, would not have automaticaly then fiddled with the screw to have a feel. Having gone that far then you would tighten it. After all you have a tin of LDG to retest.
This scenario does not feel right, and I wonder about your motives in all of this.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I take it there is no love lost between your organisation and The National Grid guys ? how can they big themselves up?and why? I have had one fitter say the whole pipe needs to be inspectable now someone else says a mirror will do! Sounds to me either the rules are not clear or some fitters don't know them.

have had one fitter say the whole pipe needs to be inspectable now someone else says a mirror will do! Sounds to me either the rules are not clear or some fitters don't know them.

Erm? That's the whole reason for the mirror. So you can inspect the whole pipe. Not saying it is possible in your situation. Just that it may have been an option.

13 posts and most about a gas nipple.You say you used to fit your own hobs but couldn't tighten a gas nipple.
Guessing you've made a fuss with engineer,the wifes told you stop being a dick.
Youve came on here and been told to stop being a dick

Dont think you will reach dans 37,805 post do you.

Last edited:
Yes, I am also surprised why anyone on finding a nipple slightly loose would not just tighten it.

But people come and post on here with all sorts of odd hidden motives!

Tony

Just fit and solder your own pipes in.... Belive me it will save you money, time and hassle....

I've been doing it off now on for over 30 years now and never had a problem..

Seems different engineers have different solutions for the same problems.....pot luck!!

After looking at a gas safe engineers work I can confidentiality say as a diyer my work will p!ss all over it....

Merry Xmas ;)

Whoooo! paranoia, hidden agendas, motives, he must be out to get us, just like the Nasty National Grid guys who big themselves up at our expense!Where's my tinfoil hat? Get over yourself lads!

Just fit and solder your own pipes in.... Belive me it will save you money, time and hassle....

I've been doing it off now on for over 30 years now and never had a problem..

Seems different engineers have different solutions for the same problems.....pot luck!!

After looking at a gas safe engineers work I can confidentiality say as a diyer my work will p!ss all over it....

Merry Xmas ;)

Think you could be right mate, but be carful they are god like,they don't like it why you point out that they are only human and can make mistakes, it is your fault for calling National Grid and not rectifying their work.

10,000 people snuff it a year due to being mis diagnosed by there quack!!!

loose nipple in an out side meter ? well if u want to cause some bloke aggro report him ? or on discovery tweak it up ??

Does seem strange you run the gas pipe yourself but unwilling to tighten a nipple which would have saved alot of hassle.
Its almost like creating a drama.

I wondered what he looked like!

Has he been banned yet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back