Advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My mate just bought a new Gainsborough electric shower, but he is thinking of changing it for a 10.5kW Creda shower. Now I have heard that Gainsborough are one of the "cheaper" ranges and not v good but not sure about Creda. Can anyone advise me on the pros and cons of the different showers? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you fit a 10.5Kw shower, you'll need to get a sparks to install cooker cable to drive it! That's more than 40 Amps!!!

Croy

I am aware of part p thanks but wanted some advice on the different makes. Is any one better than the other? Thanks

Since I only ever see broken ones it's difficult to know the best. Internally, they all seem to be pretty rubbishy!

Sponsored Links
Internally they are all pretty samey as well with the odd difference here and there such as the name on the front or an extra control knob that you will never use or a few lights or maybe a solenoid to turn the water on/off instead of a valve. ie. a few subtle differences to justify ripping you off.
Heres an example or two
I was looking at the Wickes catalogue the other day and there were 3 showers all 10.5 kw One had a basic control. The next had the extra control knob which would never be used and the other had all the flashy lights and solenoid which is only something extra to go wrong.
The prices were roughly £60, £90 and £130 respectively aimed at the three market levels that most manufacturers seem to be aiming at these days. namely paupers [and local authorities], middle class, and filthy stinkin rich with money to throw away. Well here is the news. There is every chance that they will all have the same heating unit in them. Call me a pauper if you like but I know which one I would buy. I would want a 10.5 kw shower and for another seventy quid they could keep the solenoid and pretty LED's. BTW they are all rebadged Tritons
As it happens I am quite happy with my 8.5kw mainly cos it works and also I can't be arsed running a 10mm cable and all the other crap. If it ever goes I will be off to Newey and Eyre for their £43 managers special Newlec 8.5kw which used to have Redring parts in but now I'm told it's Heatrae Sadia.
There's loads of these 2, 3 and more tier marketing scams about. The ones I know of that come to mind are
Audi Volkswagen and Skoda
Baxi Potterton and Main
M&S Crisps KP and most of the shops own brands.
etc etc

Now thats just my opinion but do you want the pretty lights and buttons or just a shower?

EDIT :-
Just had a look HERE Turns out that Redring and Creda are the same!

Thanks for reply - its actually for a mate and he asked me to find out whats better - the creda one is costing him more than the gainsborough and as far as I know the creda one has all the lights etc. Are triton one of the best?

Don't get involved, let him/her make his/her own choice. There is a 1 in 5 chance the thing will fail in the first year.

Don't fit it either or you'll be expected to change it for free when they have to take it back.

about all you should show a friend is how to top up with a filling loop and how to bleed a rad.

They are intelligent enough to sgo shopping and buy food to eat, let them find out a little bit more and take responsibility for thier own decisions.

Paul said:
They are intelligent enough to sgo shopping and buy food to eat, let them find out a little bit more and take responsibility for thier own decisions.
Ah, survival of the fittest :evil:! Some of us old fogies still have outdated notions about helping our fellow humans. ;)

Ah, survival of the fittest ! Some of us old fogies still have outdated notions about helping our fellow humans.

Or alternatively: appearing on DIYnot is a form of vanity publishing - discuss!

:cool:

appearing on DIYnot is a form of vanity publishing - discuss!
Well of course. All males seek ways to advertise their capabilities in the hope of attracting female interest. But how many females follow this forum? I suppose we're all just honing our skills and establishing a pecking order for when the competition gets serious (when attractive female appears). Such behaviour is common enough amongst other mammals.

I thought it was just that men like to sound wise and give advice? Isn't this a virtual council of village elders sitting round the fire?

;)

Meanwhile all the energetic young bucks aren't sitting about talking, they're busy hunting the antelope and romancing the women.

thanks for the replies - i didnt offer to do anything - been there and learnt my lesson. his dad is doing it all for him.

thought i'd bump this back up cos I've just had such a great laugth reading it.

ps. I've got a 8.5 Kw triton that is used daily and is still ok after 5 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back