Advise for mounting Yale PIR's Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,

Just looking for a little advice please, so i have bought and installed a Yale wireless Telecommunications Alarm at my home.

I know that the professional systems are better etc but is what i went for just for a little peace of mind.

So i have installed 3 PIR's in my home (Ground Floor Masonite) however and doing a bit more research after installation :oops:
It seems that i have not put two of the PIR's in the right places.

Just looking for some advice on whether or not i should move them?

1. Kitchen

As you can see by the layout i have the PIR facing a window in the current South West position and what i have read online is that this can cause issues, i would just like to note that when ever the Alarm is armed i always close all curtains and blinds and i live on a ground floor and i never like to show what i own to anyone looking in .
All of the other corner positions in this room are obstructed by Cupboards and the one that is not has the boiler in it.
I could put the PIR above the window but this will then pick up the Door Contact on the back door (PVC Door with Window), again i have read this is a no no?
What should i do guys? bearing in mind i have the blind down when the alarm is active. Keep the PIR here or move it?

2. Hall way

My only concern here is the PIR in its current position is picking up the front door (PVC Window With Door Contact) and the window next to it.
I could move the PIR to above the Front Door, should i do that or keep it in current position?

As i said guys just looking for advice im trying to keep the False alarms to a minimum but also want the optimal coverage.

Thanks to anyone that posts

Regards

Edit: I have uploaded some pic layouts of the two rooms, hope you can see them :D

Sponsored Links
1. Kitchen

The passive infrared motion sensor can penetrate the transparent window, also the outside sunshine can cause the false alarm. It's not recommended to install PIR motion sensor target to window. For the protection of window, you can use the Curtain PIR motion sensor, which to be installed beside the window. The detection area should be in parallel with window.

I think it's ok to install the PIR above the window, and making sure the boiler should not be included in PIR's detection range. Door contact is reed switch, it doesn't effect the PIR detection. They two different sensors can work together.

2. Hall way

Please note that for the optimizing detection of PIR motion sensor, you can install PIR to entry points, where potential intruders can cross the area. That means you should not put the PIR motion sensor directly to the front door.
390_choke_points.jpg

3. Avoid False Alarm Tips:
"Making sure to read the instructions that come with our detector, this can help you to increase the effectiveness of your sensors and prevent the false alarm, also you can consider the following tips for sensor placement.

1. Avoid install the PIR motion sensor near to heating sources, it should be 10-15 feet away from heating vents. The swift change in heat and a cloud passing quickly over direct sunlight shining into your bedroom, the sensor could be tripped.

2. Place the motion sensors at "entry points" - ares where people will walk through to get inside, like the stairwell or main hallway. That means an intruder will trip the sensor before they are headed. Install more sensors in bedroom where have valuables need to be protected."
390_parallel_sensors.jpg

Reference information: **********

Door contact is reed switch, it doesn't effect the PIR detection. They two different sensors can work together
If they are wired sensors that is true. If they are wireless and triggered at the same time the probability of their alarm transmissions colliding and neither reaching the control unit is high.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, i am definitely going to move the hall way PIR to above the front door, however not sure about the kitchen as if i move the PIR above the Window then that PIR will have the Back door Door Contact in it's field of view.

Unfortunately there is not a wall i can use that will not pick up a window or the back door, the North east would of been good but i have the boiler there.
Do you guys think that a blind will be enough to stop any potential false alarms from the window?

Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back