Air + steam release from the Vent Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have an ancient open vented system with a relatively new boiler in place (Potterton - 5 yrs old).

When the thermostat on the boiler is turned up to above half (as it has been for the past 5 yrs), the HW has been heating fine.

However recently, when the HW is turned on, after around 10 minutes there is a ticking noise coming from a pipe (I cannot locate!) and then the rumbling noise starts.
The vent pipe then expels air and steam quite violently for around 10 seconds. After this, it stops and the ticking noise stops too.
Also to note, this is an INTERMITTENT problem only...!
This morning it was fine but last week, I woke to these crazy noises at least 3 times out of 5.

Should I get someone to look at this or are there any checks I can do?

Sponsored Links
Open vent systems often suffer from heavy corrosion and/or limescale build up. This can have symptoms like you describe.
Are you sure the system was properly flushed when the boiler was installed?

Sponsored Links
I flushed the system myself only a month ago because of this but it doesn't seem to have helped (the problem has been intermittent for a couple of months now)

Also I live in a soft water area

I doubt it's a circulation problem as it's intermittent.

Maybe the pump is breaking down, but I would have have thought the boiler stat and even the PCB as it's a Potty.

The worry is the OP hasn't suggested the overheat stat cuts off.

What more d'ya need to know?

boiler model

system type

any valves etc

I ask this whilst paying for your pension, kev.. icon_smile.gif

15 years to early yer paying for that layabout doitalls
chair1.gif

That sounds like a gravity system :eek:
Leaving a gravity system as it is, is a really poor job imho. Fully pumped systems became the norm as far back as the sixties. The lack of controls will lead to poor performance and poor economy. As the installer was clearly not interested in delivering quality, the wholes system is suspect.
It could be a boiler problem, blockage, or pump.
Do you have a working roomstat and timer?

The timer on the boiler works so CH and HW can be set.

The roomstat was installed with the boiler and doesnt really work. It doesnt set the temp but turning it up fires the boiler up. It's more an on off switch in disguise

So the roomstat doesn't really work, the cylinder doesn't have a stat at all and the system is playing up.
I'd say you should find yourself a good RGI, and have him check over the entire system.
It will probably cost a few bop as I expect a number of problems to be found.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back