Airlock on part of central heating system after drain down - One pipe system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drained down my one pipe system for boiler test and when refilled the central heating is only partly working - I can see one horizontal pipe that feeds the radiators that feels cold and I am sure it is an airlock.

Is it advisable to drain down and refill with the hope this might clear the blockage?

There is water in the FandE tank for sure

I have tried to bleed the radiators and the ones that are cold have no water in them

Sponsored Links
Did you clean out the f&e tank before draining down ?
Which radiators are not full of water ,are they on a higher floor level than rads that did fill ?

The fande tank is fairly new and not dirty

The radiators affected are the old cast iron radiators - They have bib pipework as well

I am quite sure there is an airlock and I wonder how it can be removed

Raditor on first and second floor not filling

You could try draining and refilling,if that fails back fill the system with mains cold water.
What do you mean by " bib piping " ?

Sponsored Links
You could try draining and refilling,if that fails back fill the system with mains cold water.
What do you mean by " bib piping " ?
Sorry that should read big pipeworl - More than 22mm pipe work to radiators

Ill try a drain down thank you

I drained it down twice and there is still an airlock on one horizontal pipe which is so annoying

Anything else I can do before a plumber has to come (who will probably say he cant do anything because the pipe is steel and not copper)

as daft as it may sound try removing bleed nipple and get your mouth around end of rad and try sucking and blowing it can shift air locks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back