Alarm Co refusal

The engineer lock feature should be removed from all control panel programming.It is not fair on customers when they have a problem with a control panel or alarm company and then find out the control panel is then useless.I have been to countless takeovers to find the control is engineer locked and can not do any thing for the customer other than change the control panel at an addtional charge.The alarm companies that lock the control panel should be held responsible.If they are a registered company like NSI or SSAIB you should report the company

Sponsored Links
so they lock it without authority to prevent you from using it? or is it a feature of the device/service ?

locking it doesn't prevent it from being used, it prevents it from being programed/ defaulted.

The NSI/ SSAIB companies are supposed to get written permission I believe, probably find its in the sale agreement with the charge to unlock it.

It is considered reasonable to lock it and that a fee can be charged if a site visit is required to unlock it. It is locked as a security feature and for the installer companies liability, if the end user changes any settings because they have the engineers code and the system does not work, along with many companies have generic codes so they disclosing it to an end user would put all there systems at risk.

I don't like systems that lock the engineers code only, some lock the NVM completely which is better, as attempting a default doesn't lose the programming. locking the engineers code only means everything else defaults and nothing can be changed.

In general if you are a competent alarm diyer, you can often replace a small basic domestic systems panel or pcb for less than a call out fee.

I have done take overs where security companies will either give the engineers code to me as an engineer or default remotely or charge and come to site. Although some have been known to be awkward, trying to protect their business interests?

several customers of mine have successfully got engineer codes from alarm companies apparently by threatening legal action, however these particular cases involved companies that didn't finish the install as quoted for, so a little more complicated.

There is no agreement between the new homeowner and alarm company, so CAB would advise on where you stand legally and that wouldn't cost a penny for the advice, I suspect there is little you can do, given the panel and whats involved and you want the engineers code to make the changes yourself its cheaper in this case just to replace the panel, which would give you a warranty as well.

Sponsored Links
There is no agreement between the new homeowner and alarm company, so CAB would advise on where you stand legally and that wouldn't cost a penny for the advice, I suspect there is little you can do, given the panel and whats involved and you want the engineers code to make the changes yourself its cheaper in this case just to replace the panel, which would give you a warranty as well.

Your claim would be against the previous owner if they described it as either functioning or covered by a warranty of some sort. People often think manufacturer warranties are transferable. In most cases they aren't. The contract is between the original consumer and the retailer. It could be an unfair term for the service company not to allow a service contract to be transferred to a new home owner. But hardly worth the bother given the cost of control units.

@Europlex thanks.

as for messes left behind, I do find that some end users claim that engineers I know of have left systems in a particular mess (whilst possible, highly unlikely), when in reality someone has been fiddling. That usually becomes more apparent as the customer continues to speak.

Thought the alarm was functioning, just wanted to change the way it works.

Get a fair few calls with new owners want to change the way the system works and you cant without a valid engineers code and the relevant knowledge.

As for end users knowing what they want and what is best that's another story.

@motorbiking

As for legally binding and what's written or not in a contract the CAB are brilliant at explaining the way forward, but they advise only under what act you should take action under and have some pre written documents that can be tailored, but you may still find to get things addressed legal action may be necessary.

Without asking the CAB I wouldn't be able to say what legal rights you have or don't have wrt to any given situation, as there are some very strange legislation in place covering different things and differing situations regardless of what is said or written.

Well, this has certainly brought about an interesting debate :)

I thought I should give an update. I defaulted the panel earlier today, luckily the engineer code was not locked. The config was reset (I did expect this but it would've been nice if it didn't), it was all reprogrammed inside half an hour and all tested ok. That's it now, all systems installed/taken over/maintained by said company have been sorted.

Thanks to those that offered help, it is appreciated. (y)

Okay, just to be specific, they refused to give you the engineers code - fair enough, it is for the engineers - but did they refuse to come and reset it for you, or didn't the conversation get that far. Maybe you need to ask them if they'll actually do a reset for a fee - but I doubt if they will.

Try calling Eusec.co.uk on 01633 666365, and see if they can help.

Nice sales pitch :D

As I said before they refused, I was put through to a "director" who couldn't be arsed to talk, he/she hung up.

No fuss, as per my last post I've sorted it. The alarm is mine to do with as I wish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back