Alarm wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm new here but I can see me asking lots of questions as things progress renovating a 17th century cottage with my other half.

To start with, I've got nearly 100m of BT internal cable. Can I use this for a wired alarm? I know it's solid core not twisted strands but I don't know what difference that makes as far as wiring things goes.

Sponsored Links
it depends on how many cores pir's need at least 4 excluding tampers bell box 5-6 core but you should be able to use it for alarms but not the external bell box
hope this helps

it depends on how many cores pir's need at least 4 excluding tampers bell box 5-6 core but you should be able to use it for alarms but not the external bell box
hope this helps

Don't use bt cable for alarms as it breaks far too easy in screw connectors up that's why alarm cable is stranded.....

Sponsored Links
I wonder why there are different cables manufactured for different jobs?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to have one sort for every job?

Sarcasm.

( the lowest form of wit )

To start with, I've got nearly 100m of BT internal cable. Can I use this for a wired alarm? I know it's solid core not twisted strands but I don't know what difference that makes as far as wiring things goes.
It's possible to use it but you have to be very careful when stripping it. Otherwise you can put a slight nick in the conductors which then makes them very prone to breaking off.

I wonder why there are different cables manufactured for different jobs?
Sometimes because there is a legitimate need for them to be different, sometimes because different industries have adopted needlessly different connections.

It's possible to use it but you have to be very careful when stripping it. Otherwise you can put a slight nick in the conductors which then makes them very prone to breaking off.

Thanks, I had a feeling it'd be something like that. For the price I'll just get the right cable then, seen it in Maplins for £50 per 100m roll.

Hmm..., from one of the Screwfix alarm cable reviews:

"This cable does not have a COPPER conductor, it has a STEEL coductor with a COPPER coating.
DONT PURCHASE IT WILL CAUSE YOU LOTS OF PROBLEMS NAMELY VERY BAD VOLT DROP.
Furthermore you are paying for expensive COPPER and you are getting cheap STEEL."

That's the £20 roll !
I've come across various cables on pre-wired new houses some steel ( awfull and some like tissue paper ...can't knock webro cable been pretty good , but most cable now is not as good as it was 20 years ago....

I cannot see any specs on the Screwfix items and reels unbranded. I suppose you're picking it up so can check what you're getting before you leave.

I normally stick to CQR branded alarm cable myself - probably why I haven't been sold the steel based stuff. You can normally pick up on Ebay for around the £15 mark if you're not buying bulk as trade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back