Alarms - touch key fob- why bother?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will soon need to get a new wired alarm system fitted to my property which is under major renovation.

I want to go for a high end system for a 5/6 bed house that will allow me to receive notifications to my iphone about alarm triggers and possibly also allow me to remotely activate/deactivate it or check the status logs. It would be nice if I have the option to buy some PIRs with built in cameras to focus on certain areas of the house, like the landing or garage.

Could some of you professionals make a couple of suggestions of some alarm manufacturers and models I should consider. I have a budget of about £1200 to £1500 pounds. This would be to cover areas as shown on the image below.

Also what is it with key fobs? Surely this must be the biggest security loophole since the alarm was invented? I understand police get fed up of false alarms etc and people forget their pin, but all it takes is someone to be robbed at knife point at the door and snatch the fob off them to deactivate the alarm and god forbid, much worse, rather than trying to extract a pin code from them.

Sponsored Links
Complain to " acpo" or the NPCC as they are now known as .... You know that, I know that ...
So just use a code ....

Also what is it with key fobs? Surely this must be the biggest security loophole since the alarm was invented? I understand police get fed up of false alarms etc and people forget their pin, but all it takes is someone to be robbed at knife point at the door and snatch the fob off them to deactivate the alarm and god forbid, much worse, rather than trying to extract a pin code from them.
Whatever you use though, if you're confronted like that you either fight or let them in. Having a PA with you that you can trigger will either scare them away or get you a beating. Similarly if your set-up allows for setting off the siren/s via your phone you still require some warning/distance or your phone will be swiped too.

It would be nice if I have the option to buy some PIRs with built in cameras to focus on certain areas of the house, like the landing or garage.

As soon as you connect any sort of camera to the internet or to a panel that has an internet connection, then you have to assume that anyone else can also watch the camera output. Not really a big problem for a garage or any external view, but more so for inside the home. It amazes me that people are so trusting of this technology with little thought about their own privacy.

Sponsored Links
Yes that also plays on my mind too but any camera connected to the Internet will be limited to the external areas and garage except one facing the internal hall.

I still believe that those key fobs are the biggest security risk because there it is so much easier to know a person's address and attempt to steal their fobs to break in than it is to steal their pin.

Perhaps it's just me and the risks really are remote.

Back to the main question though, what top brand names would you guy recommend for features and reliability?

I agree with you about the fobs. I only use them in conjunction with open/close reporting via IP self monitoring.

I 'm an advocate of the Honeywell Galaxy range. Although Honeywell are a pain in the butt with their customer support and information sharing, the hardware is well though out and mostly backwards compatible (excluding the Flex V3 ). The design is rock solid and has proven itself over many years. I use the Dimension series at home myself in a mix of home automation for lights, heating, garage door control and (mainly) security.

You can pick up a new Dimension panel with a keyprox keypad for around £140 on Ebay. The expansion RIO's normally sell for around £15, so it's easy to add blocks of 8 remote zones / 4 outputs to the panels on-board 16 zones and 8 outputs. The panels also support 2 way wireless with the addition of an RF portal, so if you have areas that are impossible to wire, then you can add RF and since the RF range is compatible with Domonial and G2, then there are always plenty of new RF devices for sale on Ebay. If you like touch screen devices, then Honeywell provide a true LCD touch center which is compatible with the Dimension. It's still a bit bulky for my liking, but a proper touch screen none the less - go for the higher resolution CP041/CP042 as the older CP040 isn't as good.

I do have some Texecom panels in the office for test purposes, but I've never really liked the design and the way that the firmware behaves with the serial based devices. I also don't like the lack of security with their IP modules. A secure version was promised by Texecom a couple of years ago, but it never happened. Others love Texecom though, so each to their own...

Do you all recommend keeping an alarm as an alarm without any bells and whistles connected to its aux input like GJD lighting or camera etc?

Depends on your intercom system.

Some systems use digital video or mix the video and audio on the same wires .You can receive sounds and speak to it .

fobs for monitored system police response, if your monitoring or its keyholder then you wont need the fobs but you could still use them.

some panels you can create a double login a fob and a code, or two fobs or two codes (two users), the premier and elite ranges work that way, the premier 640 only had an option for one user to have a code and tag entry. It can create issues if you lose a fob mind.

I think sometimes its best to list what you want the alarm to do, then if there isn't something that matches all your requirements you work out the best fit.Or how you work around to get everything you want if it is possible.

Alarms are capable of so much these days but you pay for what they can do rather than what you need them to do in some cases.

Alarms are capable of so much these days but you pay for what they can do rather than what you need them to do in some cases.

Can you please outline some examples of advanced things that alarms can offer these days other than a sounder and text msg or email notification. This would interest me greatly.

Can you please outline some examples of advanced things that alarms can offer these days other than a sounder and text msg or email notification. This would interest me greatly.
They can be incorporated with smoke alarms so in the event of a fire a call/text can be made. The timers can be set and used to control (via appropriate hardware) lights on and off e.g you could have an external detector that turns on a light in the house when someone approaches at night time. They can be incorporated into an electronic gate/post system so the gate/post locks shut upon an alarm activation.

home automation integration, gas leak and switch off the gas at the supply to the house and vent by opening the windows. activate sprinklers, the cross over between fire and intruder you have to be careful as Fire products should comply with Fire regulations whereas intruder devices doing similar work probably wouldn't comply although the job they do may be satisfactory. Where a legal requirement has to be met then dedicated equipment installed by the appropriate installer is recommended.

basically need a detector one end and the panel to fire the output/relay to activate the controlling device. Heating controls are the same, send a signal then turn on or off the boiler or air con etc.

Secureiam,
The home automation part I get, in fact I already own a Fibaro zwave router as well as a LightwaveRF router at my parents house. As part of our refurb, we will have mains connected smoke alarms and yes I was considering having them connected to the main alarm system. However, what are you referring to, is shall we, home automation which can be done without connectivity to the alarm - do you have examples of a) which alarm manufacturer systems can connect to home automation and b) alarm systems that offer other functions/services which can be separated from the home automation system?

Paulj48,
This kind of goes back to my earlier comments about GJD sensors earlier and in a separate thread. What system can handle the alarm and gate or lighting control as you mention?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back