Aldi Ferrex vs Lidl Parkside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The only tool I have is a Bosch cordless screwdriver. I have never done much if any DIY - usually just bring a tradesman in but with this lockdown I have had more spare time to potter around.

Anyway I want to buy some tools and there are a lot out there - I will be a rare user of these tools but I thought might as well buy some now.

So with all that should I opt to buy anything from Aldi or Lidl? If so are any of these makes decent?

I assume I would need

Drill / Driver
Impact Driver
Multi-tool
Drill Bits

Anything else for General DIY?

Sponsored Links
Lidl Parkside tools come from a large German company, Einhell.

You can order spare parts, batteries etc. from them, and look up parts diagrams and other documentation online. It is sometimes easier to read if you speak some German.

https://www.einhell.co.uk/shop/en-uk/accessories/batteries-chargers

Example:
https://www.einhell.co.uk/shop/en-uk/te-cs-18-190-li-bl-solo.html

When our transition period from the EU ends, there may be tariffs or other barriers to make it less easy.

I don't know a similar arrangement for Aldi tools, but they have quite a good exchange or refund guarantee.

The only tool I have is a Bosch cordless screwdriver. I have never done much if any DIY - usually just bring a tradesman in but with this lockdown I have had more spare time to potter around.

Anyway I want to buy some tools and there are a lot out there - I will be a rare user of these tools but I thought might as well buy some now.

So with all that should I opt to buy anything from Aldi or Lidl? If so are any of these makes decent?

I assume I would need

Drill / Driver
Impact Driver
Multi-tool
Drill Bits

Anything else for General DIY?

Unanswerable, if we have no clue as to what you intend to do.

Unanswerable, if we have no clue as to what you intend to do.

Fair point. I really don't intend to do much other than the odd job such as putting up blinds.

Just some Tools to have lying around for the odd occasion.

Sponsored Links
Aldi Ferrex are quite good if you just want a few tools for the odd occasion.
I have found for the prices they charge they are quite good value and ALDI have a no quibble returns policy so long as you retain your receipt. Most items seem to have a minimum 2 year guarantee.
I have bought a few Ferrex tools from Aldi and be very pleased with them. I bought a bench mounted belt sander, (about £80 I think), and accidently dropped it in my workshop after I had had it for about 6 months and used it quite a bit. The belt started to run out and I couldn't align it so took it back, (just said the alignment wasn't working, never mentioned it had been dropped). They gave me a full refund no problem. They are Scheppach machines rebranded as Ferrex.

Buy tools with wires, any half decent brand with spares availability such as green Bosch, for the usage pattern you describe they will last you a lifetime. Battery stuff, cheap or expensive, will require new batteries in 3-5 years (or complete new tools if the batteries are obsolete). The convenience of cordless is great for trades/regular users and generally outweighs the costs but it's not cheap for drilling a few holes for a curtain rail or picture hook every 2 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back