Alpha CD18R : 11 years old : limescaled exchanger : VIAKAL?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some new rads fitted along with a MagnaClean.

Now did a bit of "enthusiastic amateur" flushing before this work and got most of the sludge out and the MagnaClean is getting progressively cleaner.

However the boiler servicer (B Gas) and the plumber (who fitted the rads and Magna) had confirmed that the reason the boiler crackles and pops and some rads do not get hot is the limescale build up in the heat exchanger (we live in East Kent which is one of the hardest water areas around).

Two questions;

1) How about doses of VIAKAL into the MagnaClean?

2) I brought a second hand boiler (same make/model) on fleabay and it was 3 years old and had run on a water softener from new. Swap the heat exchanger?

Also I fitted a Scale Wizard a few years back, and whilst I accept it does not physically remove the limescale, it certainly does limit the build up (e.g. the toilet bowl does not now need a hammer and chisel to remove the build up).

Views?

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back