Alpha Ocean Combi 240e on off on off????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks. Boilers been playing up lately. When the CH starts it lights then switches off several times then stays lit and works fine. Today i cleaned out all the dead flies and dust and checked the silicon pipes, which are ok. When running DHW it's ok but when CH starts we're back to on off on off. I have noticed that if i disconect the silicon pipe which runs from the gas valve? to the underside of the burner box, the boiler behaves as it should but as soon as i reconnect it, it switches off again. When i blow and suck on the pipe the the flame increases (blow) and cuts out (suck) and the clicking of a switch can be heard where the pipe joins the gas valve? Therefor a vacuum is being created in the burner box when the fan starts, sucking on the pipe and switching the burners out? WHY?

Sponsored Links
This pipe is there to actually help lift the gas valve open I believe.

Have you checked the aps?

Hi Dave. Yes the aps seems to be working ok. I replaced the tubbing a while back as it was starting to go hard. You say the other pipe is there to help lift the gas open? but when there is a vacuum on the pipe the burners go out and the cycle starts again and again etc. This only happens when the boiler has been standing idol and is cold. Once it's warm it does'nt on off? If i leave the pipe off it behaves itself but obviously it's connected to the burner housing for a reason. I'm wondering if the gas valve could be on the way out. Do these wear out? Cheers. Ian

The tube is a pressure balance tube for the modulator diaphragm in the gas valve - probably fitted to allow for installation altitude. You should not be blowing into the tube since you could damage the gas valve.

The problem may be due to the lower heating burner pressure being insufficent to allow the flame sense to detect the flame sufficiently well.

Get a boiler engineer in to check the electrode position and burner pressures.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gasguru. I think getting an engineer round is the way to go. Cheers. Ian.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back